Newbie with a few questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jace

Oct 25, 2018
Iowa
I'm in the process of fixing up my small shed (approx.350 sq feet) and would like to put in a small wood burner. The shed is already set up with a brick chimney with clay liner from the previous owner. The block on the outside of the chimney is in great shape and the clay insert looks good as well. That being said I would still like to put in a steel insert just to be as safe as possible. I want to use a Tee connection as pictured below.
All of the Tee connections I see available are single walled. As you can see from the pictures I would be passing close to a combustible to get through the wall and into the chimney. What are my options for doing this safely? Is the chimney being right up against the shed a clearance issue? Also the shed is insulated, being such a small area what size wood burner would be ideal for this area? Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you very much

I'm in the process of fixing up my small shed (approx.350 sq feet) and would like to put in a small wood burner. The shed is already set up with a brick chimney with clay liner from the previous owner. The block on the outside of the chimney is in great shape and the clay insert looks good as well. That being said I would still like to put in a steel insert just to be as safe as possible. I want to use a Tee connection as pictured below.
All of the Tee connections I see available are single walled. As you can see from the pictures I would be passing close to a combustible to get through the wall and into the chimney. What are my options for doing this safely? Is the chimney being right up against the shed a clearance issue? Also the shed is insulated, being such a small area what size wood burner would be ideal for this area? Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you very muchView attachment 231774 View attachment 231775 View attachment 231776 View attachment 231777 View attachment 231778
You need to adress the wall passthrough before you do anything else. It is nowhere near adequate

Thanks for the quick response bholler. Any suggestions on how to address wall passthrough issue.

Thanks for the quick response bholler. Any suggestions on how to address wall passthrough issue.
An insulated thimble