Newbie with a new insert (Osburn 2400)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Statefan86

Nov 2, 2015
Wendell, NC
Hey folks -

First off, GREAT website. I lurked for a long time, then I finally joined about a month ago when I placed an order for an Osburn 2400 insert for our home (had a build thread going, need to finish it and add pics). Anyway, I am 100% a newbie to the art of burning properly in an EPA insert. We had a wood-fired furnace growing up, but I was probably only 10 by the time we quit using it. I helped my dad out, but for all intents and purposes, this is new to me.

At any rate, my wife and I installed the Osburn ourselves into our very large masonry fireplace. What a beast, and a beautiful piece of equipment! Very happy and impressed with the build quality. We installed it with a full 6" flex liner with 1/2" of insulation the whole way. I made a damper blockoff plate and it is also fully insulated on the backside. All joints were caulked with Rutland 2000F sealant. The chimney itself has never seen a fire...16x11 clay tiles (it's a huge fireplace and chimney...completely swallows the big 2400) looked superb so nothing else was really needed. Total of about 18ft from output to cap.

I feel very confident in the install that we did everything properly and professional-grade. The reason for the post is I (think) I'm having trouble burning it properly. When I get the fire going (takes a good 45 mins to really settle in), the flames are lively, and a beautiful blue/yellow. They just "look" like they are burning clean. Secondaries come alive within about 10 minutes, and dance around beautifully.

As with most newbs, I waited too long to buy firewood (was kind of a late decision to go ahead with the insert). As such, I have a cord of "seasoned" wood from craigslist which measures in at a solid 28% MC on a fresh split. It will be an investment for next season. I have some good stuff on the way, but what I've been burning sparingly this week is a mix of cedar and oak I've had for a few years...MC 15-18 on all pieces. Kindling is small pieces of VERY dry cypress, some kindling sticks (essentially 1x1s) from Lowe's, super cedars, newspaper, and whatever else dead in the yard I can find. Like I said...we are getting a very late start and having to kind of scramble.

Lighting is no problem. 2 parallel logs placed N-S, with kindling in between and bigger logs on top. Lights right off. I leave the door cracked for probably 10 mins., then close it and run the damper wide open. Secondaries get going within 10 mins. There is a fair amount of smoke at startup, but the draft is good so no spillage into the house (yet). My problem is smoke during the "real" burn. Unfortunately, I'm having to burn very small loads due to the weather which has been low 40s-50s at night. Firebox maybe 1/3 full, if even that. Stovetop temps have been 400 max, flue stays around 350. In fact, it's a good hour or more before the fans even come on (thermostat) after startup. I usually manually override. We have been burning only in the evenings, so always starting with a cold stove.

There is always smoke coming from the chimney. Not billowing, but it's there. Not black smoke...more grayish. On the first burn, I used some of the wet wood, which resulted in a pitch black coating on the inside of the entire firebox. Fire bricks completely black, as well as a nasty coating on the glass. The top of the firebox (c-cast, secondary tubes) have been burned back completely clean, and the glass now remains crystal clear. I think I'm burning right. So what is everyone's opinion on the smoke? The wood is good, install is good, I feel like I'm burning it as hot and quick as I can due to being such a small load. Damper remains fully open until I shut it down for the night. Do you think the smoke is a concern? Is this just a result of burning small loads in a big stove? At 400F stovetop temps, I know I'm not burning it as hot as ideal. Not much more I think I could do than add more wood. Sorry for the long post...any and all opinions appreciated!

Oh one more thing...any concern about the black coating? I'm assuming it will all finally burn off once I burn a full fire. Like I said, the top is already clean, but the firebricks are still black as coal. I'm sitting here with it going right now...1.5 hrs in on 1/4 load. Good fire, secondaries look beautiful, glass crystal clear. Smoke coming from chimney : (

Well I may have made a liar out of myself. almost 2 hours into the burn. Just went outside...nothing but heat waves coming from the chimney. Maybe I am doing it right! Any tips/advice/opinions still appreciated. I'm determined to not have creosote in my shiny new liner!

My experience has always been a little smoke at start up, and when you let it die out. I have also heard that smoke that comes out of the Chimney, and dissipates in 15 feet or so, is actually steam from unseasoned wood supply, and smoke that lingers could mean the air is turned down too much, too early.....hopefully those with more experience can verify my findings, or correct them.

Reactions: brad wilton
Welcome to the forums!

If you have black smoke, the secondaries aren't lit yet. My secondaries kick in when the stove top temp is around 350-450. My stack temp (checked with a probe thermometer) when cruising is around 500-600. With a fresh reload, I have smoke for 15-20 minutes or so.

Your liner will get dirty, you're not blowing air up there! LOL there is a difference between dirty and creosote formation. I have a dirty cap at the moment. I am yet to sweep since last season but it will be done in the next 2-3 weeks. I took a peek and see only light fluffy stuff, a small thin layer around the edge. Not a gooey, hard or glazed buildup.

If the "smoke" dissipates in the first 5-10 feet after exiting, it's not smoke. If it lingers around and forms a smog, you need to burn hotter.

Happy burning!

Andrew

I too would have a black firebox and dirty window if not burning hot enough and with my wetter wood. First year burning with the Osburn 2400 and got firewood in May and June but just not enough seasoning time as MC is still around 22% to 25%. If I split smaller and burn hot though everything stays clean. Even with this fuel though I rarely see smoke or anything from the chimney. The rain cap is dirtier than the other flue cap though.

Status
Not open for further replies.