Newbie with some questions. Wood stove new construction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
There are some other stoves in this style, but they will cost more. Have you looked at the Drolet Soho and the Pacific Energy Neo 1.2 or 1.6?
I briefly looked at the pe neo but our budget is something close to $1000. That’s why I was so excited with the vl-17.

I may have to sacrifice style for cost.

There is the Century S245 or FW2700. Both are well under $1000.

There is the Century S245 or FW2700. Both are well under $1000.

Great alternative idea's. I used the S244E for a couple seasons which has the exact same specs as the S245. Good little heater. You would get a barely larger firebox with these than the Englander. Here are links to both smaller models.

Reactions: Noslen
I can see a few potential issues. What is your other heat source? My home is pretty tight construction. I dont have an outside air kit (OAK) and I can't run my gas furnace and stove at the same time without sucking smoke in the house. Maybe an oak would cure this but not sure. The thermostat location is usually near the great room in most construction. Unless you have zoned heat you may find it troublesome to get the other parts of the house warm. Idaho is cold, even if you manage to heat the living room the other parts of the house are likely to be cold. As far as kids and stoves. There are a lot more dangerous things in a home than a wood stove. Kids learn quick what hot is. If they are crawlers then there are gates to keep them away. The biggest danger is them throwing their stuffed animals and toys near the stove.

Reactions: Noslen