Newbie with stove-hunting question - Got the Englander

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamchatka

Nov 6, 2013
Missouri
Been lurking here for a bit while looking for a wood stove for backup/emergency/auxiliary heating (and because I miss a fireplace). Saw this "scratch and dent" model on eBay and am looking for opinions. My husband is good with metal repair, but I'm a little concerned that it may be too big. The whole house is only about 1000 sq ft and does not have a terribly open floor plan. Either room we put the stove in is only 13 x 14 or 13 x 15. There are no actual doors between the other rooms, but the connectors are just doorways.

I know there are good smaller stoves available for a couple hundred more (like the 17-VL, for instance), and that may be more practical, but don't know and that's why I'm here!

I'm thinking the only good option for placement is at the unused masonry chimney in the living-room. Since this will have to be essentially rebuilt and lined and the wall and floor fireproofed, we're not talking about an emergency stove purchase here, but it caught my eye.

Note: In the pic of the stove, the door looked a little catawampus, but the seller said the door is open a bit (though, of course, did not absolutely rule out door damage).

Anyway, seeking opinions because y'all sure seem to know what you're talking about. Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Englands-Su...773?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d462251a5

A very rough floor plan:

houseplan.jpg
The hole in the dining room wall is a largish bay window and there's a sliding door from the dining room to the deck.

I've rambled enough for now -- thanks for your input.

Welcome the the forums!

That stove model would be a good fit for you and has a good reputation here. Personally, I would get a new one from Home Depot (the Englander) or from Lowes for not much more and have a warranty, etc. With the freight, that one isn't a great bargain and may have issues.

The other issue is whether a freestanding stove or an insert would be most appropriate. With your existing fireplace, an insert may work best for you anyway.

That location (the LR) would be the best spot and would work pretty well there. As you said, there is a lot of preparation involved, but we will be glad to help with a stove selection and installation issues.

Last edited:
Yeah, that is not near good enough deal to make it worth the risk. Watch for sales at HD, Lowes, TSC, Etc. I bought a new Vogelzang Defender 1.2 CF stove from Menerds for $399, they also had a lil bigger...Century I think it was, for $444 at the time. Watch the Menerds ads, they have some kick butt sales on stoves sometimes!

Thanks for the replies - didn't make myself clear about the chimney - it's just a chimney, no fireplace (my fireplace was in a previous house). This house is old enough that the chimney was probably used for a wood or coal stove at one time, but that time is long past. Fortunately, we know some good Amish workmen who will do a chimney well, quickly, and for less than a king's ransom.

I was kind of leery of that stove. We're within 125 miles of the pick up spot, so no actual freight, and I knew it was a well-liked stove, but still... you're right. Pass on this one. I'll no doubt be back soon with more questions. :)

Is your current chimney in need of simple repairs or a total replacement? If it's structurally stable then all you would need to do is put a hole in the side where the stove will go and line it.
Good looking out on the E-bay stove, but as others have said not worth the risk with no warranty. They are reasonable priced anyways, pay a couple more dollars for the peace of mind.
edit: I have the same style chimney from an 1880's farmhouse, as I mentioned above is what we did to install our stove.

I'll no doubt be back soon with more questions. :)
Great. We'll be here:)

Can you post a picture of that chimney? We have some good chimney experts here (I'm not one of them...) but if that chimney turns out to be unsuitable for some reason or too expensive to repair properly, you will want to consider a stainless steel "Class A" system. Most stoves will require a 6" flue and the chimney will have to accommodate that size stainless liner plus some insulation. Just something to keep in mind. Be sure that old chimney is up to the task safely!

Oh, and the 17-VL may work well in that size space. It depends a lot on how well the house is insulated and your climate.

Is your current chimney in need of simple repairs or a total replacement? If it's structurally stable then all you would need to do is put a hole in the side where the stove will go and line it.
Good looking out on the E-bay stove, but as others have said not worth the risk with no warranty. They are reasonable priced anyways, pay a couple more dollars for the peace of mind.
edit: I have the same style chimney from an 1880's farmhouse, as I mentioned above is what we did to install our stove.

Husband seems to think it's pretty much okay, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't stand tall enough above the roof - doesn't look like 3' to me from the ground (and it's a slippery tin roof - not going up there to measure, though some brave soul might). Have to get it actually looked at by someone who knows more. We're learning this whole deal by baby steps.

I'm assuming you have a single level home (like a ranch style). Does your chimney have the 10'/2' requirements coming out of the roof? also, if the chimney is fairly short you have draft issues to consider when the project gets moving along, the short flue runs have weaker drafts generally. Also, if the chimney is in decent shape maybe you would consider your amish neighbors to to extend the flue and do some exterior pointing while they are up there.

Pictures would be very helpful for the folks that do respond here looking to help.

The chimney is NOT in great shape. I knew it had been covered in cement at some point, but after checking, the brick underneath is crap, at least the part above the house. For what it's worth, I can post a pic tomorrow. It is at the peak of the house, so no problem there, and it is more than 2' higher than the roof line, but it's looking more like replacement since the brick is in such bad shape. It is, indeed a one-story house with an attic (more for the chimney to go through when it's replaced... sigh). I'm guessing 16 to 17 feet top to bottom. The inside is covered with wallboard, so not really ready to tear that down since it's no doubt going to be spring before anything happens with it. Thus no pics of the chimney inside yet.

At least I'll have more time to add to the "stove/chimney" fund by waiting. Back tomorrow with a pic. Thanks!

Last edited:
I've got to tell you, it's really refreshing to see someone looking this far ahead to do things right. It sounds like you're probably going to replace that chimney with Class A chimney and a connector pipe. Just be sure it's done properly by a certified installer. If you decide to DIY, check back here for assistance.

Don't forget the wood. It's essential that the wood supply is seasoned all the way down to a 20% (ideal) to 25% moisture content. That can take from one to even three years depending on the species. So you're going to want to lay in two or three years supply of wood asap.

If you want to have a pro looking at your chimney and give you options search here: http://www.csia.org/search and here: http://www.ncsg.org/search

You may want to consider a catalytic stove for your smallish house. The Englander is a nice, little heater but will have relatively short burn times of 5 to 6 hours. That means you will either wake up to a freezing house or reload the stove in the middle of the night. In addition, it has relatively extensive hearth requirements; keep that and clearances in mind when looking at stoves. Cat stoves get quite a bit longer burn times; even a small one like the Blazeking Sirocco 20 or Chinook 20 will get you through the night. Same for the Woodstock Keystone.

Last edited:
Here are a couple of pictures of the chimney in question. The pics are about 4 years old, so certainly nothing has improved. In the pic with both chimneys showing, the one in question is on the right. Too bad, eh. The other looks a lot better.chimney.JPG chimney-2.JPG

Hmmm.... thanks for the replies. This is a new ad today and within 40 miles of me. But I know absolutely nothing about the stove. If it's any good, at that price I could store it while I get the room and chimney ready.

http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/hsh/4197162894.html

Any input?
I think it's made by Drolet in Canada. They usually have a good reputation. I don't know anything first hand about that model except it's 1.5 cf in firebox size. That may be an appropriate size for you but a little on the small side. Again, that depends on factors like house insulation and climate.

As the ad says, they sell for 699 at Menards http://www.menards.com/main/heating...a-wood-stove-with-blower/p-1747453-c-6884.htm
You'd have to see the condition and determine if the price is right but if in good shape that may be a good deal. If the pipe and some Class A chimney is included, that would really sweeten the deal.

http://www.drolet.ca/en/products/wood/eldorado-high

Last edited:
The stove I keep running into, hearing great things about, and running into again is the Englander 30 NC. Is something like that way too big for my space (approximately 13 x 15 rooms to be heated, 900-1000 sq ft total space - kinda sorta insulated, but it's an old house in coal country, so it's all after-the-fact insulation)? I'm trying to arrange for a chimney inspection/estimate, and the stove isn't something I'm going to buy today, but I do want to be searching realistically. Thanks again!

The stove I keep running into, hearing great things about, and running into again is the Englander 30 NC. Is something like that way too big for my space (approximately 13 x 15 rooms to be heated, 900-1000 sq ft total space - kinda sorta insulated, but it's an old house in coal country, so it's all after-the-fact insulation)? I'm trying to arrange for a chimney inspection/estimate, and the stove isn't something I'm going to buy today, but I do want to be searching realistically. Thanks again!
IMO, the 30 is likely too much stove for you. It's 3.5 cf and considered kind of a heat dragon. But the Englander 13-NC is also a well respected stove and probably an adequate size. I think you said your climate is pretty mild.

IMO, the 30 is likely too much stove for you. It's 3.5 cf and considered kind of a heat dragon. But the Englander 13-NC is also a well respected stove and probably an adequate size. I think you said your climate is pretty mild.

Well, it's north central Missouri. It's milder than North Dakota, that's for sure. But we spend a good portion of the winter with nights in the 20s, teens, and... urg... lower. I'd be more inclined to say the climate is unpredictable. :)

Not sure where you're at...but I'm NW of Kirksville, and if I can make a decision on a larger stove to buy, I'll most likely be looking for a place to sell a very clean looking, nice condition Drolet Adirondak that would be a little bigger than the one you linked to at some point...

Kam, I have to agree with you on the chimneys, the one on the left may have some life left in but still hard to tell from the distance the pic was taken. At the least it could be repointed in the exposed areas. Also, considering you have just one story, replacement could have been worse for the chinmey you plan on using. You could have had a full basement and 1.5 more stories to think about. You may want to consider running class A up and out and doing away with the chimney all together.

Not sure where you're at...but I'm NW of Kirksville, and if I can make a decision on a larger stove to buy, I'll most likely be looking for a place to sell a very clean looking, nice condition Drolet Adirondak that would be a little bigger than the one you linked to at some point...

Thanks for the offer, Aggie, but I bit the bullet today and bought the Englander 13NC. Believe it's going to suit me to a "T" when I finally get up and going. It will still be quite a while before I do any installation, but using it as an end-table will keep me motivated on building the hearth and getting the chimney together.

Well, I parted with some cash today and picked up the Englander 13NC. I was beginning to despair of finding one in these parts, but finally saw one - and it looks as good in person as in the pics. So now it's sitting in my van. Will start full-scale planning on the hearth and chimney in the morning. Thank God I'm old enough to not be in a big hurry, I doubt any chimney work will be done until spring, but I can start on the hearth. And, like I told Aggie, using my pretty little stove as an end table will keep me motivated.

Next step is finding some wood. Lots of "seasoned oak" listed around here, so I'll buy the driest I can find so I have something to burn in a couple of years.

You can bet I'll be asking LOTS of questions in the future. Probably the near future.

You can bet I'll be asking LOTS of questions in the future. Probably the near future.

We'll be here. Waiting for pics of that pup with FIRE in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.