Newegg.com has a shell shocker deal on LED bulbs tonight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know they say LEDs are better than CFLs but the 100 watt replacements are pricey ($100)...

A 5 pack of the 100W Cree bulbs is real close to $100 at the HD. Maybe that is what you saw...

Reactions: woodgeek
f I use a little more power it wont raise my bill much and when you average everything in on my bill, for example my last one... I used 245 KWh and my KWh charge was .1855 averaged out. But if I use another 100 KWh it would bring my KWh cost down to .13 per KWh.
Hi WiscWoody, unless you have tiered pricing (e.g. $0.xx/kWh for the first 200 kWh, and $0.yy/kWh for the next 500 kWh), your assumption on costs may not be correct.

You probably have a service charge, which makes the first kWh you use basically cost what the service charge is. Then, each kWh after that is at a "marginal" rate, likely close to $0.10/kWh, based on some of the math you showed above. Your bill should show you the details on this.

Realistically, what this means is that it makes even less economic sense than you thought it did....

image.jpg
I took the power used and divided it into the total amount paid. So the customer charge of $11.25 makes the small amount of power used pricey. The more I use makes the KWh become cheaper but my bill still goes up. Here is a shot of the numbers used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like 249 kWh for $30.88, and maybe a little more depending on the other charges. This is the variable cost per kWh ($30.88/249). The fixed cost is what you pay regardless of usage. You should use the variable cost for rate of return calculation purposes.

I didn't choose to swap to LED for cost savings. It's because of the superior technology that instantly turns on at full brightness. In addition, the LEDs are supposed to last much longer but that has yet to be seen. The instant on, regardless of temperature, is awesome.

Sometimes when I hear a complaint about CFLs compared to incandescents I think of how spoiled we've become since people lit their homes with oil lamps.

Reactions: Grisu
Sometimes when I hear a complaint about CFLs compared to incandescents I think of how spoiled we've become since people lit their homes with oil lamps.

A lot of whales are very happy for that change.

Status
Not open for further replies.