Newly installed Englander 55-CAB80 startup issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Juddct

Feb 7, 2021
New England
Hello all,

Just installed my first pellet stove and am having some startup issues.

A few potentially important details:

Walkout basement install
Vented directly outside then up 5’ - relatively standard install
Purchased at Lowe’s last year as a floor model
Model has the control box on top that says “smart stove”

Issue:
When I start up the unit, the auger slowly fills the burn pot until it ignites. Once started, the auger seems to not be feeding quickly enough to keep up with demand and the fire burns out causing the unit to read “failed to start - shutting down”

Could it be possible that the lower auger is getting pellets but too auger isn’t feeding it quick enough or at all?

Obviously I will call customer service but wanted to post here as well.

Thank you for any assistance.

Judd

Kinda need the make and model of your stove…do you have an outside air kit installed? Is it possible that it’s the pellets? Some have better success with different brands of pellets as well

Sorry, New Englander 55-SHPCAB80

Outside air kit is installed and is a pretty short run.

The pellets I bought could be the issue? Some are pretty long. Could that be the issue?

Length will cause an auger jam in some units…you could try breaking them up…or try another brand

Hello,

Tried two other brand of pellets and still no luck.

Checked igniter and i was set back a little far (1/4"), moved it forward and the fire starts fine.

The issue I am having is that the pellet feed doesn't seem to be keeping up with the fire and it eventually burns out, assuming this is what is meant by proof of fire.

Called Englander but cannot get through and the call is automatically dumped, sent an email as well.

Any other items I could check out?

thanks all.

Judd

What is your feed rate set at?

Your stove has a thermistor,for checking stove temperature. You need to make sure it is postioned where it is supposed to be.Also make sure the 2 wires are plugged into the control panel.Make sure to unplug stove before tearing it apart. The manual on your stove is terrible,you may have to call England's to get this information.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Next stupid question is the stat calling for heat?

Did a little more digging and found a few potential items.

Took the top control panel apart. Not sure if I dislodged it or it was this way, but the wires for the vac switch were disconnected. Also, the connection for the thermostat is just a jumper, there are no lead wires coming out of it. Is this normal?

Lastly, the room temp sensor wire was bundled up and stuffed into the back of the stove behind the panel…

9F47E49D-1B0D-46AA-9005-B7EF7C8D704D.jpeg 2E467EC7-8D26-4318-B179-C7A0C3E0336F.jpeg 4C3F9CC6-AF73-47C8-8FE1-DE08CB1024E1.jpeg

Reactions: Washed-Up
Might be worth a try. The room probe is so you can move it out a bit away from stove.The T-stat jumper needs to be there, The one all the way to the right- "stove", might unplug and make sure terminals are ok,and follow wires into stove and see if the other end if it looks OK.