NFPA code for type of heat shield spacers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is an exception. Here are the relevant paragraphs. Look at sections 12.6.2.2 and 12.6.2.3.

Attachments

• nfpa211.jpg
    nfpa211.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 639
BeGreen said:
There is an exception. Here are the relevant paragraphs. Look at sections 12.6.2.2 and 12.6.2.3.

Do you have the excerpt from 12.6.2.15? It is in reference to air space around/behind the wall protectors. I'd like to know if the wall protector only needs air space top and bottom or also on the sides.

Both need a minimum 1" gap for ventilation. Single flat wall shield can be 1" at the sides and top or at the bottom and top. Corner shield 1" gap is at the top and bottom.

BeGreen said:

Whoa, I was seriously stressing out when I read JoeCool's pasted code about the 12" minimum. I guess 12.6.2.2 provides the exception I need to reduce my rear clearance from 13" to the 6" I actually have as installed. The inspector told me my math was okay, and my insurance company will cover the stove with a copy of the permit. Still, I will print out both of those charts today to explain why the reduced clearance below 12" is allowed.

In all of these discussions about using the guidelines in NFPA 211 to reduce minimum required clearance to combustibles, it's very important to keep a couple of things in mind. First, NFPA 211 is not a "code", in the sense of being law. Codes are put into place by government agencies, and NFPA is not a government agency, it's an industry organization which compiles, maintains, and distributes what it calls "standards"...recommendations. Many local jurisdictions who do have the authority of law have adopted NFPA standards as code, but not all have done so. It always comes down to what the local Authority Having Jurisdiction says about it. Second, unless the appliance manufacturer's documentation clearly states that use of wall protection is acceptable to reduce clearances, then the clearances as shown in the manufacturer's installation instructions cannot be reduced. There always seems to persist a lot of misunderstanding of these points. Be safe. Rick

Thank you for that clarification, Rick, because I for one was actually referring to the NFPA 211 as if it was the law. I did know that the manual allowances supersede the NFPA 211. It's good to know that local jurisdictions are the ultimate authority.

BeGreen said:

Hmm, looked right past this. Due to section 12.6.2.2 I suppose I could get my Amesti down from 14" rear to 4.67" and the sides from 16" down to 5.33". I will have to think about this. Our living room is small enough I was planning on using wall protection just to go down from 14" to 12" and 16" to 12". Of course, I would assume that even if the stove ends up with an ok wall clearance of 5", you'd still need the minimum 8" on sides and rear for ember and floor protection right?

Following up on Rick's good reminder, does the Amesti manual approve clearance reduction using an NFPA211 wall shield?

BeGreen said:
Following up on Rick's good reminder, does the Amesti manual approve clearance reduction using an NFPA211 wall shield?

Yes it does. And if I had paid more attention to the manual than to the code book I would have noticed it says right in the manual that using wall shields brings the clearance down 66%.

Status
Not open for further replies.