Nibblin' away at al the rounds I have piled up...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobUrban

Minister of Fire
Jul 24, 2010
Central Michigan
Finally have the 35 ton at my place. Belongs to a friend and just had to find time to go get it. I think it will be with me for a month or more but in my spare time I have been working away at all the rounds I have piled in the woods and yard from some of my cutting this winter. I also had another friend who has had my Tahoe all winter bring a trailer load of pallets home from the shop he works at. I am getting another load of those soon. I have no clue how much wood is there but guessing wood be based on 4-4.5' stacks 3 pallets long. There are four rows with roughly 12" between them and the ends closed off for stability. I layed down plastic and am 2x7 pallets long. I have at least twice as much left to split and stack but so far so good. This is all 2-3 years out and 90% dead standing ash with a little maple and elm in the mix. I have a plan to build a shed around it all but that may be down the road so in the mean time I will be getting some metal decking(free) from a friend who owns a construction company to cover it all whenever I get done CSSing but in no hurry with that. I have time. For next year I have 3-4 full cord of free CSS'd oak that I will be getting from the friend who owns the splitter. The oak has been CSS'd for 3 years and under cover. Good friends are priceless!!!

Sure would be nice to have 2-3 more people around helping with all this but because I have all the time I need there is some great satisfaction just working away at it in the evenings with my dog watching. I volunteer as a wrestling coach for the local MYWAY club and I can see some payback in a few years when these 6-10 yr olds are in their teens. Splitting and stacking party at coaches place this weekend!!!

Attachments

• CSS.jpg
    CSS.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 282
Looks and sounds good Bob. I don't mind working alone and it gives me great satisfaction too when the job is completed. I do prefer to stack the wood on poles or landscape timbers but maybe it is just because I don't like pallets. Well, most of them anyway. Pallet Pete is bringing me some this weekend and the ones he has are larger and look pretty good. I won't use them for wood probably but have a few other projects in mind for using them.

I hear ya on the pallets but I have to start somewhere and these are free. Actually some of them are oak so worst case scenario I can use em in the stove when I get to them. I have all my 2011/12 wood on landscape timbers between fence posts but I needed more "off the ground room" and did not have the jack or time to build the shed I want. On a real positive note I have about 1.5 acres of space that is open and gets a steady wind/sun all the time. My seasoning should go well even if I don't get a shed or roof built right away.

No doubt you will get along just fine Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.