Nice morning surprise.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HJsimpson

Burning Hunk
Apr 17, 2011
NE Indiana
Setting on porch this morning enjoying a cup of coffee and the sunshine when a pickup slows down and makes a sudden turn into driveway. Turns out to be a neighbor from up the road and wants to know if i cut wood and if so did i have a place to cut. I told him yes and i was looking for some more places to cut. He said he had 40 acres that was logged about 3 years ago and he was looking for someone to clean up the tops. I almost spit my coffee out. Never had someone approach me to cut wood its normally the other way around. Gonna go look at it tomorrow he said the majority was beech. The only thing he wants is 1 load a year for his fire pit and to stack all the brush which i told him wasnt a problem. The best part is its only 2 miles down the road.

I'm sure there is some good wood, but that that's been laying on the ground for three years is probably no good. With 40 acres there should be a lot off the ground though.

What part of north east Indiana are you from. I'm about a half hour east of fort wayne. I'm by hicksville OH

That sounds like you just won the lottery! Beech is great firewood. No doubt some will be bad but it will take a long time to make much of a dent in 40 acres of tops! Get all you can and threat that man right.

Perfect!

I'm gonna get a cup of coffee and sit on my porch all morning.

I'll have to start drinking coffee and build a porch. Maybe I can have it done for next Saturday. Wish that all it took. I have scrounged about 1/2 cord of maple and 1 cord of pine in my first year scrounging.

Congrants on having that fall into your lap.

porch + coffee = wood. Awesome! Probably see a bunch of us out on the porch tomorrow morning. congrats.

Congrats!

If it were oak, the wood should be okay after 3 years.

Beech? Idunno. Worth checking. Around here, oak and beech are often found together.

Turns out after the loggers left, the poison ivy really took over.

I told my wife drinking coffee isnt as bad for me as she thought. I went last night to check it out but the storms keep me from going to far plus the skeeters didnt want me there. Looks like a lot of wood but a lot around the edge was pretty rotten. My hatchet would go clean to the handle in some of the 18" to 20" pcs but there was water standing at that end. The owner said farther in it sayed drier and the wood was not as rotten. As close as it is i will still get all that i can. It may be punky on the outside but better in the middle wont know until i start cutting.

When something sounds too good to be true.........be carefull what you commit to HJ.

I was in the woods cutting for a couple hours today and the mosquitoes tried to carry me off. I put on a bunch of dope and a long sleeve shirt and they didn't bother me after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.