Nightmare on elm splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Most stringy I've ever seen.

20201125_142337_resized.jpg

Don't get elm often, but when I do it's always like that. Got some waiting to pick up at a farm. Glad I have a splitter. Wouldn't want to do it by hand...

Just split a load like that. Worst i have seen. Had a hatchet to cut the last bits after splitting. Good firewood, not fun to split.

The longer you wait to split it, the better. If there is a dead elm on my uncle's property, I let it stand for a few years before I cut it down. They dry somewhat and split just fine (except the bottom few feet).

The longer you wait to split it, the better. If there is a dead elm on my uncle's property, I let it stand for a few years before I cut it down. They dry somewhat and split just fine (except the bottom few feet).
I've found this to be true also, but some kinds of elm will start turning soft in that amount of time. I like to cut them as soon as the bark starts to fall off the limbs. I avoid splitting fresh, green elm when possible. An axe or hatchet is a must have when splitting elm of any size. Unfortunately, elm of various flavors makes up about 40% of my wood pile at any given time. Around here the ash trees are getting scarce.

Interestingly, elm is becoming a favorite or mine. I used to hate it simply because splitting was a nightmare and I split everything by hand. Lately, I've found a dozen or so standing dead elm trees in the past few years...nearly every stick has split easily by hand (I avoid the crotch sections). It burns very well, and being barkless it is a clean wood from felling to loading the stove!

I have been getting quite a bit of elm last 2 years. We have quite a few dead standing elms locally. I find bush elm to split better than fence row elm . I don’t mean different species just where they grew.
I also find that if you cut them to stove length and let them dry down a few months before splitting it splits better. I have never tried working with green elm though.

Nightmare on elm splitter ....fixed :p

I deleted my post, because when I went back and reread the title I thought I must have read the title wrong to start with. I've been known to do that. LOL You changed it in the short time.

My father hand split many cords of elm back in the 70’s. I recall him saying split it frozen.

Reactions: Sawset and Osage
Nightmare on elm splitter ....fixed :p

Oh come on Jags . . . I fully expected to have you post that pic of the most gnarly looking elm that you split up years ago . . . I mean it looked Nasty with a capital N. :)

Oh come on Jags . . . I fully expected to have you post that pic of the most gnarly looking elm that you split up years ago . . . I mean it looked Nasty with a capital N. :)
That was 2 phones ago. I would need to hunt that pic back up.

Wow I guess I shouldn't complain about the stringy wood I've split! The bark, when it comes off the Black Locust I have sort of looks like Jag's photo. Just the bark has some very stringy parts, the wood itself isn't bad.

Yeah, i recently just had my first experience with splitting Elm. I ended up putting a spacer chunk of wood on that butt piece of the splitter opposite the ram cause my splitter stops like 2 inches from the end so it helped in chopping that stringy stuff off. Curious to see how it burns

Curious to see how it burns
If it is cured to proper MC it burns great . I would rate it right up there with hard maple and locust. It has a bit of a strong odour when curing and maybe even a bit when dry in storage. I never notice though when burning it.

I'm just finishing up on splitting about 3 cords of oak and hickory, and somehow I got one small elm in the mix. What a huge difference, I was watching the elm fibers as the splitter was grinding it's way through it, they were literally interwoven with each other. I was impressed and glad I didn't have more of it.

I don't know how to tell the difference between the types of elm. But I've had some that just pops apart when the splitter hits it lately. Last year I got a tree that I had to fight pretty much every darn piece. Both were standing but dead with no bark, so I'm not sure what the difference is, if it's species of elm, or what.

Frozen solid is the way to go. Then you may be able to hand split it, and get it to pop like the oak next to it.
I think there was a comment about how it supplies it's own kindling.

1.jpg

Last edited:
That is a clean split for elm!

If you have more elm to split, it also doesn't hurt to treat your splitter wedge like a chainsaw chain... file / sharpen after every tank of gas! Well, OK - maybe not that much, but a sharp wedge definitely helps all splitting. Doesn't need to be a razor, but 'lawnmower blade' sharp doesn't hurt.

American Elm the biggest reason I bought a good hydro splitter :p

I got really lucky with this last elm tree. Look how nice and clean those splits are!! Amazing how different some can be. This stuff burns really hot, but it sure doesn't last long!

Attachments

• wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 101
Reactions: Stelcom66