Nightmare on "oak" street...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eightpilot

Jul 2, 2008
Northern WI
Rented the splitter and went at the 3 cords I had finally finished cutting last week. All splits are cut to 22" for my new Oslo. Can't wait to burn these in 2009/10. 8

Attachments

• Woodpile 005.bmp
    225.1 KB · Views: 979
Nice looking wood, is that pile 3 cords???

Nice pile! I have a bunch of big oak logs waiting for 2010/11.

It was 380 cf when it was on the truck in 100" length logs. The picture is deceiving from that angle though. 8

Nightmare? Looks like sweet dreams to me.

Nice sized pile. I'm still cutting and manually splitting a dump truck load of seasoned pine that was delivered last Thursday afternoon. The pieces are logs that are between 3-5 ft in length. I seem to only get 50 cf cut and split per day. Boy will I be glad when I'm done. (I probably still have 2-3 cords to process--I've got 300 cf cut, split and stacked in the wood shed.) I'm hoping to beat the rainy season that moves in here in the fall. We may have some rain over the weekend so I may be tarping the pile and moving the cutting and splitting to inside the shop. (Thank goodness for ibuprofen--certainly helps my achy hands.)

Ah yes, real nice pile, I got an Oslo, and cut/split 4.7 cord of red oak back in March..... all at 22 inches too! I won't burn that stuff 'til winter 09/10.

I got another 7 cord of stuff to burn this winter.

Nice to have big piles of wood layin' around.

Let's see if I got this picture thing right this time.....

pile on left is about 5 cord!

ebay%201115.png

Here's the same pile, now on the right, from the other direction...

on the left is another 5 cord or so, and not pictured is 2 cord split stacked and ready to burn :)

ebay%201116.png

one more shot for you picture junkies! I split and stacked the pile here on the left back in March and it's just gonna sit there til fall of next year.

ebay%201114.png

I apologize for being a thread hog, but I'm 48 and somewhat techno challenged, so I'm trying to get this pic posting thing down to a science, promise, this is the last one.

The pile on the left in this pic has been sittin' there since last winter, it'll be the first to burn in my Oslo in the next couple months....about 2 cords sittin' pretty eh?

ebay%20826.png

Nice pics Ansehnlich1 . I don't know where you guys find all the "cookie cutter" straight as a nail wood the stacks so well. It seems everything I have looks like a dogs hind leg or is a crotch section that makes for terrible stacking. Oh well, it will all look the same after its burned.

My stacks aren't that pretty either. I used pallets to build Racks for the wood. The size works out to .7 cord per rack, even in the racks they aren't that straight, or even, or well,,,pretty. Well done.

Hey I didn't mean to make anybody feel bad!

My piles are stacked nice 'cuz I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, :)

Call it anal, whatever it is, I got it!

I simply cut the log load of oak pretty close to 22 inch rounds and when stacked it just squares up real nice, trust me, I got some piles in behind there that ain't so pretty for sure.

I find the log man round here does a bunch more loggin' in winter, so I go see him around February, when the grounds froze, the leaves off the trees, you know, and he brings me a good load, I goof around sawin' and splittin' in March. Lucky to have a ford tractor and a 3pt. splitter, works out real nice.

Thanks for the compliments men (and women if there's any of 'em postin')

[quote author="ansehnlich1" date="1221961931"]Hey I didn't mean to make anybody feel bad!

We don`t feel bad. Just a little green with envy :sick:

Seriously, very nicely done.

Adios Pantalones said:
Ansehnlich just emasculated about half of the guys here. Damn- I'm impressed!

I'm suitably impressed, but feeling only about half-emasculated. I have some nice piles too. Piles of wood, that is. Of course. Rick

ansehnlich1 said:

I simply cut the log load of oak pretty close to 22 inch rounds and when stacked it just squares up real nice, trust me, I got some piles in behind there that ain't so pretty for sure.

I find the log man round here does a bunch more loggin' in winter, so I go see him around February, when the grounds froze, the leaves off the trees, you know, and he brings me a good load, I goof around sawin' and splittin' in March. Lucky to have a ford tractor and a 3pt. splitter, works out real nice.

I don't feel bad. the wife is the OCD one in our house. If we were both OCD the marriage just wouldn't work. I figure my lack of attention to detail and having things just so helps quench her OCD 'thirst'.

Still, nice stacks!

Where at in Gettysburg do you live??? I was just there about three weeks ago. Hum. I figure I am about 2 1/2 hours from you. I could have a truck there and gone before you know anybody has been playing with your wood...LOL very nice. And by the way, feel free to PM me your address.

myzamboni said:
ansehnlich1 said:

I don't feel bad. the wife is the OCD one in our house. If we were both OCD the marriage just wouldn't work. I figure my lack of attention to detail and having things just so helps quench her OCD 'thirst'.

Still, nice stacks!

haha, I'm just around the corner from where the union 12th corps hospital was in 1863 :)

Very nice indeed. My stacks are close in neatnes, just not in volume.

Visited Gettysburg as a kid....did all the historical site seeing. Beautiful area.

Status
Not open for further replies.