No Gas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Drjohn

Oct 15, 2017
Cedar Rapids, Ia
I have a nat. gas Heatilator GC 300E fireplace. When switched on the igniter sparks but no flame although a week or so ago it did work sometimes. It has a Robershaw Gas Valve NG (71516). There is a current to the valve when the igniter operates. There is no gas smell. Could the valve be defective and how can one test it?
Thanks
PS The gas is turned on.

Try "rapping" on the gas valve with the plastic handle of a large screwdriver.
The regulator may be stuck. You don't want to smash it. Just rap on it.
Let us know if that works.

Yikes, they expect a guy to know something.
The cost of a new valve is about 1/3 what the average call would be. The work would be straight forward, what would the chances that that would fix the problem?

It may not be the valve. Can you post a picture of what the valve looks like?
Can you also post a pic of the pilot assembly?

Hope these work for you.

Attachments

• Valve.jpg
    Valve.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 162
  • igniter.jpg
    igniter.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 164
Those older DSI units were troublesome. The only time I worked on them was to change them over to a standing pilots.
That might be the better option than simply replacing the outdated one.

You work magic! I have spent several days tapping the gas valve (I'm retired) and eventually it got better and now it lights every time. One thing that I noticed is the controller has a fairly loud hum to it for 10-20 minutes then it stops. The hum is not in the transformer but the controller.
What would this be?
Thanks