No Timberjack... how do you buck without killin your chain?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Donnie Brasco

Feeling the Heat
May 29, 2012
East Central Kansas
I am trying to stick with my budget, but I feel like I need a timberjack in order to buck logs without hitting the ground with my chain!

For those of you that DON'T have a timberjack, how do you buck your logs into rounds without biting the dirt?

Thank you!

Don

Really? Just cut most of the way through and then roll the log over and finish. If you are too weak to roll a log then cut through carefully in just one spot and roll the log.

I just recently acquired a peavey, which is a log rolling device, and it is great. Saves me from having to use strength to roll a log.

Yep, just a 3/4 cut through. Roll. Finish the cut. I will usually do a whole section 3/4 through and only roll the log once.

Reactions: Big Donnie Brasco
And I HAVE a timberjack.

Yep, me too hardly use it as a timber jack. This time of year, when the ground is so wet, I use more for a peavey because the feet sink into the ground and leave the log on the ground. Sort of defeats the purpose of a "timber jack". When the ground is dry or frozen solid to a depth of 6" more or less, then tis a different story.

Lots of times if I can't roll a log on my own I use a long stout limb as a lever and a small round as a fulcrum and roll it that way.

I use a Peavey with a log stand on it. Sometimes I just lift the end of the log and throw a round underneath too, all depending on the size.

Don, your going to get strong opinions. Some will say you don't need one and others wouldn't buck without one. For me it's another tool that I take with me. Some days it gets used all day, and sometime not at all. I'm sure there are lots of ways to lift or roll a log. But when the log size is right a timber jack works great.

I would not be without my cant hook (similar to a peavey). As for the log lift, I have no use for them. They will work you pretty hard and you will constantly be moving it and having to roll it up again and again.

Most times when we fell a tree if you look under the tree you will see spaces where you can get the saw under. That is where we cut the log. If none, then we just cut all the limbs off first and when we have only the trunk the rest is easy. You can even take some short sections from those limbs, lay them down and, using the cant hook, roll the log up onto those limbs you just laid down. Now you won't hit dirt.

If you can't do this, then as some have stated, cut about 3/4 or more through the log in several places; the whole log actually. Then simply roll the log and finish the cut.

Reactions: Big Donnie Brasco
I recently bought the fiberglass handled timberjack from Northern Tool, but I never even take the foot with me. I just use it as a cant hook for rolling the logs. Most of what I've been cutting is too d**n big for the jack, not to mention the continuous repositioning. Cut, cut, cut and roll.

I recently saw a video where they put some 3 or 4 ft long rounds across the fall line, then dropped the tree onto them. Think I'll give it a try.

Reactions: TreePointer
I recently bought the fiberglass handled timberjack from Northern Tool, but I never even take the foot with me. I just use it as a cant hook for rolling the logs. Most of what I've been cutting is too d**n big for the jack, not to mention the continuous repositioning. Cut, cut, cut and roll.

I recently saw a video where they put some 3 or 4 ft long rounds across the fall line, then dropped the tree onto them. Think I'll give it a try.

Depending on the size of the tree, this can easily break the tree that you are felling. But it doesn't hurt to play around with it anyway. (I'd use some very small rounds to fell onto.) We used to drive stakes part way into the ground and see if we could finish the job with the tree.

I use more for a peavey

;em I meant I use it as a cant hook. I don't know why I'm forever inverting those two. Yes I do; it is its a simple case of C.R.I., Cranial-Rectal Inversion==c

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I tried a timber jack but didn't find it of much use. If I'm doing logs in my yard I roll them onto 6x6 blocks. If out in the woods it's a mix of what everyone else says, cut what's hanging free, look for a clear spot to section up the longer pieces roll your log onto another piece for clearance and do the cut and roll. All depending on what works for that particular piece.

C'mon, just find a couple friends and man up :rolleyes:

roll.jpg

I have had a timberjack for 20 years. The "jack" came off of it the first year. Thing either sunk into the ground or the log would roll over center and accomplish nothing. Works great as a canthook without the jack.

Archimedes said "Give me a place to stand and with a lever I will move the whole world"

So far, I've not had to cut very large logs, so the cut part way through and roll method works well for smaller stuff.
Once you get into bigger stuff, I'd use a cant hook (I've used, but don't have one) to roll and even that can be strenuous.
If you can get a log cut into smaller lengths, it's easier to roll.
Or, do as Rick does.!!!

Cut most of the way through (3/4) then roll and either cut from the top down (cutting other 1/4).

Or, on bigger rounds. I like to roll and cut from inside the already cut 3/4, Md cut up. Helps keep the same angle and you don't cut bar down twice. You are cutting from inside the round, and up to the bark.

Sounds odd.... But I know more people do it.

Reactions: PapaDave
I use the log jack now & then in certain conditions .
Like most here, I cut 3/4 thru then roll when I can.

I do find the the jacked up log is easier on the back though.
But a PIA to have to keep moving it as you cut.

Cut most of the way through (3/4) then roll and either cut from the top down (cutting other 1/4).

Or, on bigger rounds. I like to roll and cut from inside the already cut 3/4, Md cut up. Helps keep the same angle and you don't cut bar down twice. You are cutting from inside the round, and up to the bark.

Sounds odd.... But I know more people do it.

Yep, use the top of the bar to finish the cut.
I use that technique a lot. Get the bar tip in just the right place & it pulls itself up thru on the same plane as the 3/4 cut.
Keep your head in the game when cutting near the tip ! ;)

Reactions: DexterDay
Status
Not open for further replies.