No Wood Stove To Start the Winter :(

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregon Bigfoot

Feeling the Heat
May 21, 2011
Northwest Oregon
I am selling my house, and looking for possibly a new construction. It's just time now to upgrade with interest rates so low, and home prices still low. I'll miss my 20 years of heating with my Avalon Rainier woodstove. :( For now, we rented a duplex with electric baseboard heating, yuck. But we want the flexibility of having equity in hand. Our house is supposed to close July 22. I had to move my remaining 2012-2013 wood from home to my sister's property. I had about 0.5 cord left give or take. I still have about 7 to 8 cords at my sister's cut, split, and 1-2 years seasoned, and ready to go.

If we build, it will be 4+ months. I'm hoping our house closes soon, then we can make an offer on new construction. We are looking at either an Avalon Olympic or a Lopi Liberty for the new house. I'll be closer to the national forest, and closer to one of my favorite fishing streams, like a mile away!

Good luck Bigfoot in your endeavors and God bless. Find a friend in the meantime to hang out by a fire with(to hold you over)
Sounds like you have a great sister!!

Reactions: ScotO
Unfortunate that you might not be able to enjoy the warmth of the hearth for a while this winter. Maybe you will have a grease fire or something at the apartment to lift your spirits. :(;)
Seriously, hope you get into your new place and back to burning soon. Now might be a cheap time to score your next stove....maybe you could keep it at your sister's. ==c

Reactions: TimJ
Good luck on the house. But just because you may not be burning for a while, please don't forget us. Stay on the forum if at all possible.

Reactions: Nixon and ScotO
Good luck bigfoot, enjoy the fishing!
Do you swat them out of the water or use your teeth?:)

Goonygoohoo! (old Eddie Murphy bit)

Good luck. Maybe you can do a nice custom hearth for your new stove. I know you'll miss it and get a new stove as soon as you can.
Stay on the forum though. Still interesting stuff going on here.;)

Gl...

Good luck
Anyone who has heated with wood won't last long living with just electric baseboard heat.
You'll be super busy when you get to moving in the new house, glad you have dry wood ready to go ::P

Keep us posted BigFoot and best wishes! (from a fellow Oregonian)

Our house finally closed August 1, with a few buyer delays. My sister's place had a few large ash branches come down the past spring. I went to my storage unit, found my chainsaw, and snipped up the branches yesterday before dark. It's probably only 1/3 cord, but it's the first time in 2013 to get my saw out, it felt great! My brother in law will gather the firewood for me, and put the smaller branches in the burn pile tomorrow. I also stacked half that 0.5/cord I took from my old house before it got dark. I will stack the rest tomorrow I think.

I left the buyers of my old house 3 pieces of firewood. If it was a full offer, I would have left it all. ;) The offer from the buyer was about $3000 below full price, so I took the wood, except for one stove load.

It's weird, I have about 8 cords, and no woodstove, ha ha ha! :)

We are still waiting to sign a contract for new construction.. The builder is busy and hard to get a hold of, was on vacation, and we HOPE to sign the contract this weekend. I am sure we will be stuck here in the duplex with BASEBOARD heat for at least half the burn season now. :eek:!!!<>

In the mean time, I'm sharpening my hooks, there are salmon to catch! ;) The Columbia River is predicted to have a RECORD chinook run!

...We are still waiting to sign a contract for new construction.. The builder is busy and hard to get a hold of, was on vacation, and we HOPE to sign the contract this weekend. I am sure we will be stuck here in the duplex with BASEBOARD heat for at least half the burn season now. :eek:!!!<>

In the mean time, I'm sharpening my hooks, there are salmon to catch! ;) The Columbia River is predicted to have a RECORD chinook run!

Glad to hear you closed on your old house. Hope things work out w/the builder for the new one. I too am looking forward to the fall chinook run! We got a couple of real nice June hogs the last week of June. These were caught about 1/2mile down from Bonneville Dam.

20130627_201728.jpg

If the have not started now I am pretty sure you will be In. The rental all winter! Unless your building like a 1400 sqft builder stock home.

Nice fish, looks like the Fishery dock to me.

I'm with ya brother on not having a stove yet, just moved into a new house and haven't ran the liners in the chimneys or bought new stoves. Need to get that done

Reactions: ScotO
hey good luck with the build and I wish even more luck fishing in the Columbia!!!!! those fish look awesome!!

Yup went in/out at the Fishery.

I like fishing up there. I haven't fished up there in maybe 4 years. We used to go to the Shad Rack, get a bazillion shad, then head down river past the Fishery, and hook up some oversize sturgeon, and keeper sturgeon until ODFW closed that area. I've fished up there a few times for salmon, but haven't had much luck except at the Oak Tree hole, if you know where that is. Although, I don't like to go to that spot, because most of the time, its already taken. We've learned a few spots down above St. Helens.

Good luck with building your new home. I'm in the same boat as you. Well, maybe not as bad. We just sold our house this past July so I said goodbye to the Oslo. Our new to us house a pellet stove which will need to do for this winter. Next season I'll swap the pellet for a new wood burner though.

Good luck Bigfoot.....you'll be back in the woodburning in no time. Till then, take your time, get the house the way you want it (and get the stove you want, too), no rush......it'll get cold again and again and again.

Good on you for taking that wood......that's too much work to leave behind (especially when they got the house 3k cheaper). Good luck fishing too. And like Backwoods Savage said, be sure to stop in and stay in touch....you're part of the family 'round here.

Reactions: Nixon
I am selling my house, and looking for possibly a new construction. It's just time now to upgrade with interest rates so low, and home prices still low. I'll miss my 20 years of heating with my Avalon Rainier woodstove. :( For now, we rented a duplex with electric baseboard heating, yuck. But we want the flexibility of having equity in hand. Our house is supposed to close July 22. I had to move my remaining 2012-2013 wood from home to my sister's property. I had about 0.5 cord left give or take. I still have about 7 to 8 cords at my sister's cut, split, and 1-2 years seasoned, and ready to go.

If we build, it will be 4+ months. I'm hoping our house closes soon, then we can make an offer on new construction. We are looking at either an Avalon Olympic or a Lopi Liberty for the new house. I'll be closer to the national forest, and closer to one of my favorite fishing streams, like a mile away!

This electric baseboard "heat" just does not cut it, when it's near 0 outside. Baseboard "heat" does not do good keeping the house 70 degrees warmer than outside temps. Oregon this past week is having some colder than normal weather, just like the rest of the nation. But, our new house construction is coming along. I have the chimney getting in place, ready for the woodstove in a couple of months. The outside of the chimney is not done yet. It needs one more length on it, and some braces. The roofers needed to finish quickly before the snow hit, so the chimney will need to be finished later, when it thaws. The chimney cap was put in place for now, to help keep out moisture.

Oh, and yes, the salmon fishing was incredible!

01-DSCN3679.JPG

16-DSCN3696.JPG

1-DSCN3697.JPG
DSCN3573.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Beer Belly

Why would you do that when you could have a Pacific Energy Summit for half the cost*?

*I have no idea what MSRP on either stove so that "half the cost" assertion might be off by a little.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I don't know. Because the Liberty will kick the Summit's ass for heat production and looks better? For a $400 MSRP difference.

Yes it will.

Quit with the extra blank lines in the posts. A pain in the ass deleting them. >>

I'm on TT app and thought those empty lines there was a oic or something that failed to load.?? Was strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.