Noise from stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JMF1

Hearth Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Rochester NY
Hi guys, I have an Avalon 1196 (Olympic) insert, when I pull out the air control to turn down the air, it makes a humming sound. Does this sound like a problem?

That depends what song it's humming......if it's something classical it wouldn't be too bad but if it was that tubthumping stupidity I'd lose my mind.

Humming is an indication of an air leak this is not from normal contraction and expansion But due to air vollume changes
some stove wistle due to connector pipe leakage after a moment or so does the humming continue or after pressuer and air settled it goes away? Could not resist this guy got a Hum----r

Hopefully, it not the frequency of your houses framing - or as Tesla says, you might get it swaying and knocked down!

Kidding aside, your chimney draft is probably excellent and the combination of the strong incoming air and a bit of looseness in the air control happened to hit the perfect pitch! Solution - if these air controls are still made the way they were a decade ago. it is a steel rectangle which rides forward and backwards sitting in two small 90 degree angle irons welded to the bottom of the stove. By bending or hitting the angles a small amount up or down, you will change the "tuning" and it should stop.

Thanks guys, it seems to do it when its starved for air by pulling out the air control. If I move it in or out a little it stops, but sounds like it's coming from down there. Craig, I'll try "tuning" it.

if you kneeled down in-front of the stove you can here the air going into the draft and with the avalon Olympic the air control stops at a set screw but if you look under the air control is still open by a little i heard avalon stove air controls don't close all the way.

i removed the screw on mine so i can close it all the way but maybe what i am here also is that my chimney is drafting real good and the air is entering the air control

thanks
Jason

It seems like that what I'm hearing, the air going into the stove and it sounds as if it's pulling hard to get it. Is taking out that set screw safe? what would the stove do if I were to choke it completely?

most that i think will happen is you will starve the stove of air and slow the burn rate :) i put my screw back in i just pulled it out because i thought i had a air control problem but it turns out that my air control did not work because i just got the stove and started a fire on a 76F day when it's colder out i noticed the air control dampening the fire and fire coming out of my air tubs.
how do you like your stove so far?

thanks
Jason

Jason, I like the stove so far, it's a big change from the Lopi Answer I was using. One night I had it a little hot (pinned the thermometer) but I'm trying to get it figured out. I need to find a blower for it though as it's an insert installation. The best part id that I found it on CL for $200!
How is yours going for you?

mine is working out good http://ab1ai.com/stove/me-and-stove.JPG there is a picture of it my thermometer is on the stack and i never had it past 475F but im not sure how hot the top of the stove is i don't think it's over-fire but i will buy another thermometer this weekend for the top of the stove but other then that i love the stove it works great

thanks
Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.