Noisey Quadrafire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigJohnfromCT

Feeling the Heat
Dec 29, 2012
Danbury, CT
I've got a Quad Mt Vernon AE that was installed by the dealer in Feb 2010. I use it as my primary heat source in a 3K sqft contemporary.The unit works great although, in the really cold months, the propane furnace kicks in in the morning. My problem is that after the stove has been off for a while or after a self cleaning cycle the unit get really noisey when it's starting back up. To me, it sounds like something is resonating in the unit. I think it might be affiliated with the combustion blower as the convection blower has not really come up to speed. This lasts for about 30 - 45 seconds and then it settles down. The dealer has not been able to offer any assistance.

My second question is, do any of you think it this problem could be associated with the firmware level of the onboard computer? Is there a list somewhere that defines what problems are fixed with each version level release? I sure wish the manufacturer's technical staff were available to their customers for questions and assistance.

As always, I appreciate the any assistance.

Is the combustion fan on tight? How is your combustion gasket? Is it worn down? The gasket helps in dampening some of the vibration. Is the ash pan in place snug?

Is the combustion fan on tight? How is your combustion gasket? Is it worn down? The gasket helps in dampening some of the vibration. Is the ash pan in place snug?

The fan is tight, the gasket is new and I've double checked the ash pan. This was happening last year also and, at that time, I was burning NEWPs so I can eliminate anything with the pellets.

Had the same problem and it was a bad gasket (rope type) on the ash pan. Still does it when I don't get the pan back in tight, but a good push fixes it now. Was like that from the factory, old dealer was no help at all (no longer use them for service). The tech they outsource their cleaning to finally solved it when cleaning the stove last year (but did lousy job at the actual cleaning). I'm convinced that pellet stoves work best when you learn to do most maintenance on your own.

Reactions: Jaymaine34
I had a lound "rumbling" on my mt vernon after removing the blowers for a thorough cleaning. I got a reply on this forum that the ash pan wasn't seated properly and that ended up being the problem. I gave the ashpan a little extra push and haven't had the noise since.

Status
Not open for further replies.