Non-Insulated liner, and burning unseasoned wood... This is a no-no

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We purchased the heavy flex and it was precut. Both ends had tape on them but but one end had UP/TOP spelled out and an arrow in marker. Before we cut it we made up marks the entire length so there was no confusion. We just went with the magic marker markings. I hope they weren't confused and got it wrong making us install it backwards.

Were they able to clean that with just a regular brushing or something more aggressive?
Good question. I would like to know what they used to clean the chimney as well.

Were they able to clean that with just a regular brushing or something more aggressive?
Good question. I would like to know what they used to clean the chimney as well.
it was a brush you can see the brush marks. burnt creosote like that usually cleans off pretty easily

So this is not my chimney... Repeat, not mine... I have a liner with vermiculite and a block off plate. Although I occasionally burn somewhat questionable wood (Sorry wood Gods!)

This is a buddy of mine, he happens to be a volunteer fireman as well, so you would think he would know better. Check out his before and after photos of one season of burning with a non-insulated exposed brick chimney on a ranch with unseasoned wood...
View attachment 195380 View attachment 195379

Yeah... Hard to tell how far that creosote extends down, but man, that seems pretty bad.
Now that I am observing these photos from my computer, it appears the buildup did not extend for more than several inches. I am basing this observation on the reflection inside and below the creosote and the same reflection, which appears in the same/similar spot, after cleaning.

No hybrid is directional also as is heavy wall regular light wall is the only type that is not.

I'm surprised this point doesn't come up more often. I can not find anything about directionality in the instructions that came with my ArmorFlex liner, nor were there any arrows. One end was taped, but nothing to indicate which direction that end should go.

He cleaned with a brush and he said the build up extended about 5-6 feet down. Hard to tell by his eye though. Could be less. Still awaiting an update from him what the installers came back with.

I couldn't see it from my phone but the computer shows what you are speaking of.