Non-permanent wood stove install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

InstantKarma

Nov 4, 2008
Running Springs, CA
Forgive my ignorance. I have become used to having a wood stove in my home but will be renting another house that only has a wood fireplace. Is it viable or even possible to install a stove in front of the existing wood fireplace without doing anything completely permanent?

Thanks

Of course it's possible. But the answer you'll get here is, depends. That's because it really does depend. What stove, what clearance, and How's the chimney? If you check out the photo section you'll see a few stoves in front of fireplaces. Maybe you could pop out a window and run the pipe out and up the side of the house in some order. Then you could just keep the pipe and then add or subtract when you move. You could really do that easily with a pellet stove because then you'd only have 3-4" pipe with less clearances. After everything I've done installing this new insert, I could have it all out and exactly the way it was in less than a day. I don't know if I would have done it though if I didn't own the house because it's a lot of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.