Noncombustible Material for Floor Protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joem32543

Jul 24, 2015
Maine
I searched the forums for this, but I couldn't find an answer for my specific question. I recently purchased a Jotul F 600 which only requires ember protection for floor protection. The flooring in the location of the wood stove is a tile floor with grout that has minimal cracks. Now, for additional safety, I plan to put the wood stove on 48" x 48" hearth pad. Now, the hearth pad is not the correct size per the Jotul requirements, but it will extend about 18" past the side loading door and a few inches in front of the stove (I don't plan to load from the front). My questions are:

1. Technically, as my flooring is "non-combustible", could I put the wood stove on the tile floor with no hearth pad?

2. I've attached a PDF of how I want to position the hearth pad relative to the wood stove. Any comments or suggestions?

I've also included a picture of the flooring where the wood stove will be located. (Note: The location of the wood stove in the picture is not where it will be located)

Attachments

• 20150922_193330.jpg
    20150922_193330.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 355
  • Drawing1 Model (1).pdf
    9.3 KB · Views: 192
1. Yes.

2. Since you don't need a hearth pad it is up to you how you position the stove on it but I am not sure if your draft will be ok with those bends. Think about putting 45 elbows in instead of a 90. Will the chimney be lined?

I agree with GRisu. Tile floor is non combustible, so it meets the requirement. I have a Lopi stove that has a similar requirement - the flood must be non-combustible but that is all that it required - and the floor never even gets warm under my stove. I wouldn't worry about a hearth pad except as an extra protection against embers and scratches if you have nice tile.

The chimney does have a 6" oval stainless steel liner and, based on what the home inspector said, has a very good draft. It's an interior chimney that extends through 2.5 stories (About 35-40 feet). I'm not sure I have the room to fit 45 elbows without pushing the wood stove further into the room. Is two 45 bends and a 90 bend better than just 2 90 bends? The 90 bend coming out of the wood stove is needed b/c there is not much height distance between the stove top and thimble.

The chimney does have a 6" oval stainless steel liner and, based on what the home inspector said, has a very good draft. It's an interior chimney that extends through 2.5 stories (About 35-40 feet). I'm not sure I have the room to fit 45 elbows without pushing the wood stove further into the room. Is two 45 bends and a 90 bend better than just 2 90 bends? The 90 bend coming out of the wood stove is needed b/c there is not much height distance between the stove top and thimble.
You may want to install a key damper on your black pipe coming out of the stove, with such a long run you may have an excessive draft issue, especially when it gets colder outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.