Noob Q on a Lopi 1750 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have a Lopi 1750 free standing stove. I close my air 3/4 to 7/8 on every reload and never have brown soot on my glass. I think you will find that your wood is a bit high in moisture. If i ran my air half open on 3 or 4 hardwood splits I think I'd be worried about my stove melting. I regularly let the stove burn out overnight and go to bed with the air almost all the way closed with no soot on the glass. The airwash on these stoves is pretty good.

Good to know. Thanks! I did do the dollar bill test this AM. Could not easily pull it out, so moisture content and wood type could be playing a role.

Noob Q on a Lopi 1750 insert
I think I know what you guys are talking about when you’re talking secondaries. It’s like flame Northern Lights.

Air all the way closed, stove stable at around 610

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: blacktail
Now yer cookin. Enjoy the lightshow.

Reactions: Will_f