Not open for further replies.
  1. smokedragon

smokedragon
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 27, 2014
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    I keep hearing these two terms and REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want some clarification.

Now this is my understanding of noodling

Long strings of wood come out of the chip port.

But some folks talk like they use a standard chain for this. In the comments, he mentions a chain with a 5 - 10 degree angle (as opposed to the standard 30).

I know several on here noodle their big wood (sorry that sounds dirty;em), but how? Do you use a special chain?

If you use a standard chain, then what is ripping?

From this video, he describes a ripping chain (like for a saw mill).

I have some oak that is gonna come out to 350 - 400 lbs per round. The tree is off the ground on other small trees that it crushed and I have considered "noodling" at the end, then cross cutting, then noodling, then cross cutting........basically cutting each round in half before I cut it off the tree. Before I try anything, I would love a better explanation from those who have learned the hard way (so I don't have to:p)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pma1123

pma1123
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2013
    Loc:
    Watertown, WI
    I know I've quartered some big rounds before, and cutting one direction I had chips, and the other directly it was the long strings you speak of. I don't know the physics behind it or even if it was supposed to happen that way. Interested to hear the replies.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Clarkbug

Clarkbug
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 20, 2010
    Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Imagine you have a round of firewood.

If you stand it on end (like it grew in the tree) and tried to cut it with your saw from top to bottom, that's ripping. You want a different angle on your chain for that.

Now tip that round over so it lays on the ground. Cut that round in half lengthwise. That's noodling. Cause you get long stringy noodles out of it.

4. Fred Wright

Fred Wright
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 26, 2013
    Loc:
    Delaware
    If you stand the round on end and cut downward it's ripping. If you lay the round on its side and cut down along the grain it's noodling.

Dunno if there's a certain type of chain to use... but noodling does tend to clog the clutch cover.

5. paul bunion

paul bunion
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Apr 3, 2013
    Loc:
    NJ
    You get noodles when you cut along the direction of the fibers as it grew in the tree, just like a carpenters plane can make long curlys from a board. You get dust when you rip cut because you are cutting into the fiber from the top, basically taking the end off of the fibers as you cut. You get chips when you cut across the wood because you are cutting across the side of the fibers pulling them out a 'chip' at a time.

Applesister likes this.
  6. red oak

red oak
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 7, 2011
    Loc:
    northwest Virginia

Good explanation. I have noodled but never done a rip cut. I do not noodle often and have not used a special chain when I have. I'm not a big fan of it but there are times when it is called for.

7. HDRock

HDRock
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 25, 2012
    Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    +1, Long grain, short grain,
    Tip it on the side , not standing up that would be ripping

20140424_185553.jpg

8. Paulywalnut

Paulywalnut
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 29, 2012
    Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    I think it's quicker to rip than noodle. I avoid noodling when at all possible. Crazy conversation when you look at it in print.

9. HDRock

HDRock
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 25, 2012
    Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Okay who wants to do a speed test ripping vs noodling?
    Ripping will dull your chain quicker

Fred Wright likes this.
  10. bmblank

bmblank
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 17, 2013
    Loc:
    Michigan
    Cut a notch in there and then throw a wedge in. If it's a stubborn one cut the notch deeper.

11. smokedragon

smokedragon
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 27, 2014
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Alright.......I get the difference (although it seems many use the terms interchangeably). Does anyone use a special chain when noodling? The guy in this video does, just wondering if others get similar results with a standard chain?

12. HDRock

HDRock
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 25, 2012
    Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Never ran one but, A skip tooth ripping chain should cut faster when noodling cuz it will clear the chips out better

13. smokedragon

smokedragon
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 27, 2014
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Did some Noodling on Sunday afternoon......that is a long and difficult process. However, they were 28 - 33" rounds of white oak, so it was better than trying to move the rounds (which were 350+ pounds each). They had to be moved uphill, noodling them into quarters made that a lot easier.

I think I am gonna modify the crummy green semi-chisel chain that came with my MS290 and see if it will noodle better with that chain

14. Wood Duck

Wood Duck
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 26, 2009
    Loc:
    Central PA
    I have noodled a few rounds and ripped some too. I never do a lot of ripping or noodling so I never thought about buying a special chain for it.

15. NateB

NateB
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Mar 5, 2013
    Loc:
    South Central Pennsylvania
    You can split it on the log. Crosscut half way through at you desired length, then drive a wedge in to split the half round off. You can split it in to quarter if you to.

16. NateB

NateB
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Mar 5, 2013
    Loc:
    South Central Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]

Here I found a picture.

17. HatCityIAFF

HatCityIAFF
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Oct 26, 2011
    Loc:
    Western CT
    I noticed the other day that noodling was faster that ripping. I don't know why, but it felt like i was working less to get the saw through the wood. Granted noodling would clog up the saw MUCH faster and very frequently.

18. Jags

Jags
    Moderate Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Loc:
    Northern IL
    I like noodling with the 25" bar. It lets me keep the powerhead (clutch) a fair distance away from the round so it is far less likely to clog.
    IMG00024-20100403-1704.jpg

HDRock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.