Noodling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtarbert

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2006
Maryland
Can someone post the grind angle on a chain that will be used for Ripping or Noodling . I have some Big rounds that will need to be noodled before splitting and don't want to clean out the chain guard every five minutes....Thanks

I just use as it is and I don't have a problem with my 20 inch rancher or the 16 x torx. I noodle cut on ones that I can't split by hand or like you say to large to move. The only time mine gets a little clogged is when it is close to the ground and they pile up.

Reactions: Fred Wright
Ripping & noodling are NOT the same thing

Ripping is cutting with the chain running perpendicular to the grain with the cut direction (movement of the saw) parallel to the grain.

Noodling is cutting with the chain running parallel to the grain with the cut direction perpendicular to the grain.

With that out of the of the way I suspect you are noodling, not ripping. Ripping would be done with a chainsaw mill etc. I won't post the grind angles for ripping, they are widely available.

There is no special grind angle for noodling to make the chips smaller. The reason they are so large is because you are cutting perfectly long strips of wood grain. To prevent these large chips you need to make sure your bar/chain is not perfectly parallel to the wood grain. IE, run it through at a bit of an angle so you're partially ripping and partially noodling. The chips will be smaller and easier to clear.

Reactions: Hickorynut
If you really have a lot of it to do you could look into a skip chain with fewer teeth on it, that way the noodles will be spread out a little more coming to the drive sprocket - but it will take more trigger time per depth of cut since you would be running fewer teeth.

I just clear my guard and use my regular chain, but I don't have to noodle enough to even look up if I can get a skip chain for my saw.

countryboy said it best and it takes a bigger saw to do good noodling. Without a splitter, I can't get by without some to a lot of noodling on a great many trees.....

I end up working alone a lot and need 24" lengths. The big rounds are heavy, I noodle anything over #200. I use the 24" 362 and clear as needed. It works fine.

Noodle bar deep and then whack a wedge in there. Someone recommended I try it in another thread, so I did today - worked great and made for much less cutting with the saw.

Reactions: Fred Wright
Noodle bar deep and then whack a wedge in there. Someone recommended I try it in another thread, so I did today - worked great and made for much less cutting with the saw.
++

Status
Not open for further replies.