Nordic Eric jr Who else has one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings, We just installed a stove that has been sitting at our mountain ranch for 20 or more years. I'm hoping someone also has one or knows a bit about them.

The stove is a: Nordic Eric jr. made in Lovelock Nevada. The company is no more. I'll try to post a picture. It works well but I have a few questions. The stove has a metal plate. I don't have in it right now. I believe it should stand upright in the back of the firebox, in front of the 8" rear flue . The plate has a 1" right angle bend, I don't know if it was to be on top or bottom as the plate stands.

Attachments

• stove1.jpg
    stove1.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,641
  • stove 3.jpg
    stove 3.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 2,063
Some info about the stove: The firebox has hollow panels around it with two fans with reastat front that pull air in and out the top above the firebox. There is an ash pan with air entry under the grate and air entry in each door all these can be closed. Hope to find someone that has one!!!!

You sure the clearance to the wall is okay?

Don't be shy with the spray can.

Try putting the name of your stove in the title of the thread (you can edit it). People will see it without opening the thread.

Looks like an old fireplace insert, no legs. May not be legal to install it as a freestanding stove.

clearance is more than fine, can you not see the air gap? It does have a base.

The firebox has an air gap aroung it, the sides don't get as hot as a single wall stove. The fans pull lots of heat into the house.

Thanks! I put the name in the title. Just installed this, [we bought this ranch a couple months ago] still working on the house, barn,fence, electrical and plumbing.

Here is a sales sheet on the old Thor insert - they mention the freestander in the text, but yours might be different (Jr. ?)

As to the installation, there are many things about it which do not meet code or safety standards. We could point those out if you like...

Attachments

• thor.jpg
    thor.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 1,180
Thanks for posting! They are close: two doors, but different. This was never a insert. I saw it new installed in a friends house, and was given it when his wife didn't like the mess of a wood stove. This has a sticker on the fan housing saying: meant to be installed in moble home. sure would like to know how to installe the metal plate.

Someone may come forward who has or had one or has an owners manual.

The plate would go, I'm sure, upright against the back of the firebox in front of the rear vent. There was also an angle iron arrangement, in two pieces now, that supported the plate and there are two metal cleats that welded to the top of the firebox, I think, to keep the plate from pitching forward. The only question now is which way the plate would be set. The plate has a right angle bend of 1 1/2" or so, this could be on the top or bottom, I'll have to make a judgement. I have to make a welding repair, I brought a small wire feed welder down yesterday, to the angle iron support and place bricks to lift the plate to sit against the cleats in the upper part of the firebox. I'll talk it over with wifey, I guess I can try it one way and flip it if nessary.
Thanks for taking the time with this.

I'll let you know how things come out.

Richard

Webmaster said:
Here is a sales sheet on the old Thor insert - they mention the freestander in the text, but yours might be different (Jr. ?)

As to the installation, there are many things about it which do not meet code or safety standards. We could point those out if you like...
Craig, What year was the Thor made? Seems pretty innovative for the apparent time period.

Update: Last night was a cold one here. Heated with the Nordic with the steel plate and bricks installed. It was wonderful!. Before the plate was added: The Nordic burned lots of wood, heated the stack to over burn. Last night and now, the stove is working, less wood is being used and the stack is just in the burn area on the thermometer and the door glass is staying clean.
I need to weld a hasp for the fan housing where it swings in to lock.

I may be able to paint the stove and work on the hearth soon, after the fence and the barn and what else.

Status
Not open for further replies.