North American Pellets - Yucky Creosote on Heat Exchanger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwig

Dec 4, 2014
New Haven, Connecticut
Hey all,

Anybody else burning North American Wood pellets and getting soot / creosote on the heat exchangers? This is my second season burning, and last year I had good luck buying rando-pellets from Home Depot (Heatrs). I didn't mind cleaning out the ash more often in order to save a few hundred bucks on pellets. Heat was good, and life was good.

This year I rolled the dice again and got a few tons of North American Pellets. After burning just a couple bags I noticed that my heat exchangers were all black! I only burn on the high setting, and the flame is lively and not sooty, so I don't think there's a lack of airflow. So I cleaned the heat exchangers with soap and water and then a couple bags later the tubes were black again! This is not good. I don't recall this happening with the Heatrs.

I've read some posts where people said that creosote necessarily means there's something wrong with the stove setup (not enough airflow). Other people have said that certain junk pellets produce creosote. My guess is, since the flame looks healthy, it's probably the pellets.

Should I just spray some liquid creosote remover in the firebox when I do my cleanings, as I make my way through all of these nasty pellets? I ordered some of this stuff, but I haven't tried it yet.

Also, is it possible that too much airflow could cause the creosote? When I had my stove apart for cleaning, I noticed that the flue adapter gasket was not the same shape or size as the flue adapter. The flue adapter has a long, rectangular hole, and the gasket has a circular hole. This seemed strange to me, even though the gasket was straight from Quadrafire. So I trimmed the gasket to match the flue adapter, in effect expanding the exhaust passage by removing the partial gasket blockage. Anyone think that this could somehow cause the creosote by increasing airflow? I should add that the flame looks totally normal - not like a blowtorch or, on the other extreme, lazy.

Relax. Its most likley not your stove north americans are known this. See if you can return the remaining pellets. Youll be glad you did

Hey all,

Anybody else burning North American Wood pellets and getting soot / creosote on the heat exchangers? This is my second season burning, and last year I had good luck buying rando-pellets from Home Depot (Heatrs). I didn't mind cleaning out the ash more often in order to save a few hundred bucks on pellets. Heat was good, and life was good.

This year I rolled the dice again and got a few tons of North American Pellets. After burning just a couple bags I noticed that my heat exchangers were all black! I only burn on the high setting, and the flame is lively and not sooty, so I don't think there's a lack of airflow. So I cleaned the heat exchangers with soap and water and then a couple bags later the tubes were black again! This is not good. I don't recall this happening with the Heatrs.

I've read some posts where people said that creosote necessarily means there's something wrong with the stove setup (not enough airflow). Other people have said that certain junk pellets produce creosote. My guess is, since the flame looks healthy, it's probably the pellets.

Should I just spray some liquid creosote remover in the firebox when I do my cleanings, as I make my way through all of these nasty pellets? I ordered some of this stuff, but I haven't tried it yet.

Also, is it possible that too much airflow could cause the creosote? When I had my stove apart for cleaning, I noticed that the flue adapter gasket was not the same shape or size as the flue adapter. The flue adapter has a long, rectangular hole, and the gasket has a circular hole. This seemed strange to me, even though the gasket was straight from Quadrafire. So I trimmed the gasket to match the flue adapter, in effect expanding the exhaust passage by removing the partial gasket blockage. Anyone think that this could somehow cause the creosote by increasing airflow? I should add that the flame looks totally normal - not like a blowtorch or, on the other extreme, lazy.
Thursday, 30 April 2015 14:27 posted by Bob Boswell

A review from wood pellets reviews web site
on same pellets:

In my 8 years of owning a pellet stove, I have burned many brands of pellets. I bought a pallet of North American Pellets October 2014. Let me honestly say this. I have never experienced the worse pellet for heat output..
Not only was the heat output minimal, but the ash content was overwhelming. I had to use a hand trowel to remove the ashes from the stove burning box. In addition, the soot output quickly blackened my stove window. I contacted Lowe's about these problems and hopefully they will never buy this brand again.

We took them back last year also for lack of heat.

Yeah, these are definitely not good pellets. But I think I can make do with them. Unfortunately, I got these pellets delivered with some lumber over the summer in order to combine delivery and save some money. I don't think Lowes would take them back now, and I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle to haul them all out of my basement anyway. I just hope they can keep my house warm enough in January!

Luckily, I found that the creosote burns off if the stove is burning on high for a long time (maybe 3-4 hours). I think it just takes a really long time for the stove to get hot enough to burn off the buildup. That means that I shouldn't have a creosote problem for most of the season when the stove is running all the time. These pellets would be a much bigger problem for somebody who does not run their stove on high all the time, as I expect the creosote would build up fast.

By the way, before I figured out that a long, hot burn would get rid of the buildup, I tried to burn it out with some Rutland liquid creosote remover. I wouldn't recommend this stuff for pellet stoves. All it did was leave a coat of rust on the firebox - it didn't even touch the creosote buildup!

Anyway - thanks for the comments. I might be done with cheapo pellets after this experience. I picked up several bags of good pellets to test out the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.