north American pellets??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsman23

Minister of Fire
Aug 26, 2008
western southern tier of NYS
never heard of them but Lowe's here has them for 3.79 a bag 180 a ton without the 10% coupon ,mmmm i need to restock for next year.. mmm 59 bucks to deliver...4 tons

Anyone use these??? are they any good.. inquiring minds want to know...........

Jim

They are re-bagged Currans pellets, heat was just ok, but made a little more ash. Pellets smelled like urethane.
Search some recent threads for more info, has been discussed recently.

Same pellet as the Curran blend, This is just the bigbox rebagged version. Dealers get the curran bag and to keep the piece bigbox get the North American. Googled the address on the bag and it takes you to currans mill! :)

Just went in the stove and review will be posted on woodpelletreviews

woodsman23 said:
never heard of them but Lowe's here has them for 3.79 a bag 180 a ton without the 10% coupon ,mmmm i need to restock for next year.. mmm 59 bucks to deliver...4 tons

Anyone use these??? are they any good.. inquiring minds want to know...........

Jim

That's a much better price than our Lowe's here!!!!

Attachments

• WPNorthernPelletsPriceSC.jpg
    WPNorthernPelletsPriceSC.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,225
I'm not familiar with this brand but I would try a bag or 2 first before you buy a large quantity. Even the same brand can burn differently from different batches. Make sure there are not a lot of "fines" or dust in the bags, which can cause auger jams.

I tried a couple bags this weekend and while they have a distinct small to them they have little to no dust and very little fines. They were 3.54 a bag at lowes. They seem to burn well and put out above avgergae heat. Not the best but then again not the worse.. I think i may get 4 tons delivered before the price goes up and up...

About the same as I got for results. Waxy smell, Little to no fines and not much dust. Heat was fair and the ash had high volume but was actually under 0.5% by weight. Burn length was pretty long at 25hrs. 24min. Decent if you can score them cheap! But because they lack the high heat I'd say shoulder pellet for me.

http://woodpelletreviews.com/Takeman-Reviews/North-American.html

10% off which price. The math doesn't add up.
50 x 3.54 = 177 if you bought by the bag.
If they were 10% off of 186 then it would be 186 x .9 = $167 or 3.35/bag.
Just trying to figure out where the mistake is.

turbotech said:

They were 3.34 a bag, i hope this makes you happy my friend... :)

turbotech said:

They were 3.34 a bag, i hope this makes you happy my friend... :)

yeah but i only got 15 bags for now so i could try them. I have another 10% off at Lowe's and ordered 3 tons for delivery by Lowe's next week. So it will be 167 a ton plus 69 bucks to deliver. I liked the pellets but not the smell,,,, what the hell is that smell???? but i figure i'm burning pellets not roses and they burn well, no dust and little fines... the smell i can live with...

IMHO, The smell isn't from the fiber! Its from a binder as all the Curran pellets have the same smell. What it is? IJDK!

Hey Jay!

I got ripped off! Yesterday I bought 10 bags of these pellets for $5.97. I have 2 unopened tons of Barefoots in the garage and want to keep them sealed up till next season, switched to buying cheaper ones at HD and Lowe's since mid-January. I figured I'd take advantage of the current low prices so I've kept the more expensive super premium Barefoots in storage.

HD in this area is out for the season and we're in for another un-expected cold blast till mid-April, so says the weather, so I wanted to top off what I'm burning now ( cheap ones ) to get us into mid-April when I'll stop burning pellets till next season.

I called the store and asked about the price differential, $3.54 vs. $5.97, in the same region, and why?, and they told me Lowe's bases price on demand, not on their cost, when Lowe's Corporate pays the same price across the board for them! WTF!

Pissed me off! I sent Lowe's Corporate this email:

"Hello,Yesterday I purchased 10, 40lb bags of North American brand wood pellets at the Lowe's store on Andover street in Danvers, Ma., to burn in my pellet stove. They cost $5.97 per bag. Today I discovered the same pellets in other Lowe's stores in nearby states, NY, CT, etc., cost $3.54. I called the Danvers store and asked why, and they told me that Lowe's bases the price on demand, not on cost. Do you think that's fair? At almost double the cost it looks a lot like price gouging to me. Not fair. From now on I'll be buying my wood pellets else where."

end of message.

It's not a lot of money in my case, 20 bucks, but still pisses me off. Sounds like gouging to me.

Cold winter huh? Sure glad we have this Omega!

Dave

j-takeman said:
IMHO, The smell isn't from the fiber! Its from a binder as all the Curran pellets have the same smell. What it is? IJDK!

Status
Not open for further replies.