Not a wood question, a tree question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
I am sure there are some knowledgable folks that will have the answer, so here goes. A 15 ft Pin Oak I was ready to move was just topped by the lineman doing work in my area. They took about 2 feet off the top. Will that tree grow in a healthy manner, upwards, if given time?

It should still grow up but will also get bushy & wide.

Maybe. It might put out one or more shoots from a spot near the top of what remains of the tree, and you could thin those to one or two and they might eventually grow to form a nice tree. Alternately it might send up lots of shoots that so more sideways than up and never become a nicely shaped tree. i would say 70% chance of a good outcome if it is not topped again.

If the tree had healthy roots and the damage occurred after the end of growing season, it will most likely form a new leader. It may not be pretty for a few years, but most of the time the new leader will grow over the old wound and eventually all there will be a bump. Of course this is a future point of rot and high stress so eventually if the tress is stressed, that is where it might break.

I used to walk by a set of decorative oaks and ashes along a walking path that was built to National Park Service specifications. The trees planted had to be guaranteed to grow for several years and they were far nicer than most nursery trees I have seen. After two years some vandals cut the main stem of the tree which was about 16 feet tall at about 6 feet. There were a few branches down below but the vast majority of the branches were gone. Within a year the lower section of the trunk put out more branches and a new leader formed. Its been 10 years and I would have a tough time figuring out which tree was vandalized.

I think it should be okay. Time will tell though.

Status
Not open for further replies.