Not enough Hearthstone's on here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kevlar_vw

Apr 5, 2015
Vermont
This thread needs more soapstone! Here's a Hearthstone I I rebuilt this summer.

Tear down. I wanted to retain the original look, so I salvaged as many original stones as I could. I labeled stone, so I could put it back in its original location.
H1.jpg
HI teardown.jpg
HI rear.jpg

My worst fear came true. A cracked bottom. I searched for another one for a few weeks, but no luck. I dont have a stick welder, so I took it to a buddies shop and he welded it up. The front right corner had broken as well, so he welded that back on. Once welded, I used 1/4" plate steel to plate it. drilled/counter sunk/tapped holes will prevent this from breaking.
HI crack.jpg
welded.jpg

gound down.jpg
corner welded.jpg

plated.jpg
bottom built.jpg

Once I finally had a good base, I could start sorting stone. If a stone was cracked, I cut it, and relocated elsewhere on the stove. Any stones that were replaced, were replaced with NOS stones-to retain the original look.
stones.jpg
front.jpg
side.jpg
frame.jpg

top on.jpg
side done.jpg

doors.jpg
front done.jpg

and, installed in the home.
installed.png

This was a fun one. Restored to 100% factory original, and looks like it rolled off the assembly floor in 1985. All you stove geeks can follow my Instagram for more builds @ kevlar_vw

Last edited:
It's always a pleasure to see you bringing new life to an old stove Kevin. This is another nice restoration. It looks like back then Hearthstone did double-wall sides.
Is the Jotul in the background what came out or just another project?

Reactions: Hoytman
It's always a pleasure to see you bringing new life to an old stove Kevin. This is another nice restoration. It looks like back then Hearthstone did double-wall sides.
Is the Jotul in the background what came out or just another project?
I’m not seeing double wall sides. Maybe I missed it. Appears to be only grooved stones, but I’m wearing specs these days, so who knows what I’m seeing. LOL

Thanks! I love restoring these. This was a stove that someone brought me. The jotul I took in a deal, to put a Mansfield in a friends house. I’m selling it as is. All the stones are “single walled”. They are 1 1/4” think. The slot allows for the spline steel. The slots are in all 4 sides, so they can be used either end up.

Reactions: Hoytman
nice job. i remember when you were rebuilding it. one question how did you get the double doors which look bigger than my single door?

nice job. i remember when you were rebuilding it. one question how did you get the double doors which look bigger than my single door?
Double front doors were on the hearthstone I
Single front door was on the Hearthstone II (much smaller stove)
Single front door on a hearthstone I was the EPA exempt “hearthstone I fireplace”

so you made them fit or is this a h1 and i'm not up to speed

This is a Hearthstone I. The majority of my restorations are Hearthstone II's. Lifting Hearthstones I's is about the worst thing ever. I borrowed my neighbors tractor to lift this one.

Thanks! I love restoring these. This was a stove that someone brought me. The jotul I took in a deal, to put a Mansfield in a friends house. I’m selling it as is. All the stones are “single walled”. They are 1 1/4” think. The slot allows for the spline steel. The slots are in all 4 sides, so they can be used either end up.
Ah, now I see the spline slot. Thanks. A friend of mine has one of these and still uses it every winter. It could use a rebuild too. I will share this thread with him. FWIW, the matte black looks unusual for this stove. Was that like what was done when new? I think SB metallic black looks nicer IMO.

Wow, it's kind of like legos with splines. Do these stoves have an airwash? I'm not familiar with any Hearthstone Stoves, or really very many stoves at all.

kevlar i have a question on a h2. my h2 has two pieces of glass in the door. is there supposed to be just one? both are cracked and is letting in air. so even with the primary air shut the stove wants to run at 650 and even seen it higher

Wow this is so cool! I have a small hearthstone stove I pulled out of a rental property 8 or 10 years ago. It sat in storage for 5 years and then was moved into my barn where it's collecting dust. Needless to say the two moves and sitting have cause it to kinda fall apart and break in spots.

How difficult is it to put back together for a novice? I'm very hand but never had a stove like this. Or what would it cost to have it professionally done?

How long does it take to heat up a cold room? Does it use a damper?

thoner7 i took mine apart easily, it's like a jigsaw puzzle. mine was bought for 200 and it needed a back burn plate and a baffle. didn't cost me a few hundred more and i put it back together the same as taking it apart. no special tools. snap a picture of yours and post it. these are easy stoves to rebuild and nice one's at that. and they also burn clean.

It was too heavy to slide out for better photos. But there are some fire bricks that fell off, and look like they were glued on with some kind of mastic. I also recall the door or latch on the frame being broken off, and it needing maybe some more welds
IMG_20210108_193935268.jpg IMG_20210108_193916593.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
that is a lot newer than mine. i have a h2 made with a secondary burn tube and not a cat

That’s an 8040 Tribute. Phase 1 EPA certified. Same construction as older models. The stones sitting on top just set in place. We used cement at the factory to prevent them from moving during shipping. I wouldn’t suspect any cracked cast. The front door frame is easily replaced, with 4 bolts. Taking these apart is a bigger job than it looks, and generally not needed.

Reactions: begreen
Yes it is an 8040. I still have all the paperwork. Installed in 2007, I removed it from the house in 2014 and it's been in storage since.

I do remember a lot of pieces coming apart, and I recall the tab on either the door or the stove itself, which latches the door shut, broke. I never thought to have it welded.

At one time I looked up a replacement and I want to say it was $400!!!

How well would this stove operate at a camp? Like an unheated cabin, that's where I want to use it but, if the delay in heating up is significant, that would be a negative to arriving at a stone cold cabin.

Yes it is an 8040. I still have all the paperwork. Installed in 2007, I removed it from the house in 2014 and it's been in storage since.

I do remember a lot of pieces coming apart, and I recall the tab on either the door or the stove itself, which latches the door shut, broke. I never thought to have it welded.

At one time I looked up a replacement and I want to say it was $400!!!

How well would this stove operate at a camp? Like an unheated cabin, that's where I want to use it but, if the delay in heating up is significant, that would be a negative to arriving at a stone cold cabin.
For a stone cold cabin, I would recommend an oversized, highly radiant stove. How big is the cabin and is there no heat to keep pipes from freezing?

This thread needs more soapstone! Here's a Hearthstone I I rebuilt this summer.

Tear down. I wanted to retain the original look, so I salvaged as many original stones as I could. I labeled stone, so I could put it back in its original location.
View attachment 269673 View attachment 269674 View attachment 269675

My worst fear came true. A cracked bottom. I searched for another one for a few weeks, but no luck. I dont have a stick welder, so I took it to a buddies shop and he welded it up. The front right corner had broken as well, so he welded that back on. Once welded, I used 1/4" plate steel to plate it. drilled/counter sunk/tapped holes will prevent this from breaking.
View attachment 269676View attachment 269677
View attachment 269678View attachment 269679
View attachment 269680View attachment 269681

Once I finally had a good base, I could start sorting stone. If a stone was cracked, I cut it, and relocated elsewhere on the stove. Any stones that were replaced, were replaced with NOS stones-to retain the original look.
View attachment 269682View attachment 269683View attachment 269684View attachment 269685
View attachment 269686View attachment 269687
View attachment 269688View attachment 269689

and, installed in the home.
View attachment 269690

This was a fun one. Restored to 100% factory original, and looks like it rolled off the assembly floor in 1985. All you stove geeks can follow my Instagram for more builds @ kevlar_vw

Great Rebuild Kevlar! I'm working on an H1 rebuild myself. I'm having trouble getting to double wall pipe from the factory oval adapter. I like your setup there, is that double-wall on your final install?

kevlar what is the cement that you used inside that covers the stones seams?

Hello all! I'm brand new here and now the brand new owner of two, yes two beautiful Hearthstone wood stoves. They were installed in a home that was donated to a hospital. They were uninstalled and stored in their garage for the last 20 years or so. They appear to be in excellent condition. I'd love to hear all your tips for cleaning and and links you might have for original manuals or parts. I know I will need at least one new key/handle and that some of the gaskets will need to be replaced because they are missing. I'm in the Tulsa , OK area.

137264167_3688712431167681_4512913748261559524_n.jpg138660043_3688705487835042_8526989949361101698_o.jpg139369973_168749101673788_2284011732518799901_n.jpg

I know this is an old tread but I have a H-II Stove and the lock bolt on the ash door has been broken the whole time I've had it. I was hoping Kevlar could give me some info on this part. Seeing they've rebuilt quite a few of them.

Or if anyone has a Hearthstone II can send me close up pictures of the bolt that sticks out of the side of the ash door?

i've got a h2 but mine doesn't have anything sticking out of the ash door. above it is a 3/4 to 1 inch square that is to run the coal fire. it's a shaker hookup for the coal fired stove with the coal setup. mine stove was made in and around 1985

Really? How does your ash door lock?
Mine has a lever latch that's supposed to hook around a small bolt that comes out of the ash door.

I've attached a picture, you can see the hole where the bolt is supposed to be.
Does yours look different?

20240329_154821.jpg