Not gloating, but here's how you manage a service business

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Service is a product buy it early or back of the line. The line usually starts when it's 10 degrees.
I miss opening pools in CT and westchester.....

"Train your customers" can be offending. Offering an incentive program for yearly servicing (the discount ;) ) would be a better way to phrase it. It also helps with scheduling your time for those cleanings when you have an idea of how many and can start right after the burning season is done. As others have said, this type of service incentive would only be effective after some time in the business were you have proven yourself to be reliable. Glad it works for you...
Great idea!

And essentially that's what it is, why exactly is training a bad word?

In the context that it was used, it implied lack of intelligence like training a dog, horse or toilet training a toddler:rolleyes: It was likely not intended that way but that's the problem with forums - you can't get the "soft" contextual cues of body language and tone of voice. What you are doing is cutting loyal customers a break while increasing service efficiency and generating cash flow in a slow time.:cool:

Reactions: billb3
In the context that it was used, it implied lack of intelligence like training a dog, horse or toilet training a toddler:rolleyes: It was likely not intended that way but that's the problem with forums - you can't get the "soft" contextual cues of body language and tone of voice. What you are doing is cutting loyal customers a break while increasing service efficiency and generating cash flow in a slow time.:cool:
Correct. I don't have fire pits or patio furniture to hedge seasons, I have a couple thousand great customers and this way of business works well for everyone. Oh and I'm happy to show anyone how I do it too.

Wait - Scott is an arrogant ______ and ______?

Wow - judge a guy based on one or two posts? Pretty thin, if you ask me.

The guy saved me over $300 by dispensing free advice, offered advice on my install last year, and I've seen him offer advice to others many times without any reason other than the fact that he wants to help.

I wouldn't know Scott if I fell over him, but his track record on this forum shows he is a trusted source of information who willingly shares his considerable knowledge.

Wait - Scott is an arrogant ______ and ______?

Wow - judge a guy based on one or two posts? Pretty thin, if you ask me.

The guy saved me over $300 by dispensing free advice, offered advice on my install last year, and I've seen him offer advice to others many times without any reason other than the fact that he wants to help.

I wouldn't know Scott if I fell over him, but his track record on this forum shows he is a trusted source of information who willingly shares his considerable knowledge.
Where does it say he is an arrogant ___and ____ I also dont see anyone judging him or one or two posts, I responded to someone telling how his bank account got fatter overnight and training people to line up to pay him.Being from western Canada training people doesnt sit well with me nor does likely sit to well with many others on here. I am done on this thread.

You educate people
you train dogs and pigs

Reactions: Lake Girl
Now that I read through the older post....trained was the wrong word, I see that now, wow kinda arrogant sounding I can see...

Old dogs can and do learn :) Go East Young Man!

If I am a customer and I read your post I would no longer be a customer,the part where you say you have trained your customers is just plain arrogant and secondly I would never brag about getting a customers money or how easy it was to get it.

But why am I arrogant by communicating freely. People think because I charge people that somehow I'm the bad guy?

More and more in our modern society, the customer wants control of the business. This is partly due to consumers becoming far more educated about the goods and services they purchase (thank you internet) and a general swing in consumer mentality overall. Nowadays, everybody wants to know what everything costs and then dictate what "fair" price they will pay for it. Think about it. Even here on Hearth.com, inevitably when somebody makes a big purchase (saw, stove, pellets, wood, car, au pair, whatever :p) there will be a post asking "How much?" I think many customers would be a bit surprised to learn that business owners don't just offer their wares and hope they get paid. They are constantly thinking about how to boost revenue, even out the rollercoaster, make it through next week's payroll, and yeah, that involves "manipulating" the customer base a bit at times. Walk a mile in a man's shoes.....

Scott,

You're advice applies to all businesses with heavy seasonal swings and yes, I was taking notes.

Thanks. ;)

Reactions: Lousyweather
So it's now Monday morning and the second wave of sign ups is now under way. The power of an email mailing list. There was a time when you would ask people for email and they would be very put off...to get that email we simple ask a very simple question..."Do you use email?" and folks usually readily say yes. Good!

This whole week, around the few install and such we have going I will be pretty much 100% occupied taking calls and scheduling appointments. This will go on for a few weeks. After about the 6th blast, anyone not signed up from our current list from last year will get a phone call. This will usually fill the list by about 75%. Another email will go out as well as 1 snail mailer to all zone 1,2,3 customers. All this will take us into May and by mid May we will be full for the summer.

Anyone not signed up by June pretty much has w to wait till fall and pay full price, and I feel bad for a lot of folks cause they waited or didn't check email or whatever...

Overall, we a re looking at about 5-7 weeks of office work, which if were not collecting money up front, we would need a substantial amount of money to keep myself, a guy and another office person going.

This way we have enough funds to take our time, not be stressed and actually enjoy the turn of summer...ahhhhh the best time of year!

Status
Not open for further replies.