Not heating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thanks for all the tips. With properly dried wood,on average with a good hot fire. What temps can I expect the room to reach, say on a 25° day. I know a lot of different factors come into play, but ballpark numbers
Somewhere between 50 and 100°F.

Somewhere between 50 and 100°F.

That's a good SWAG. Living dangerously, I'll bring that in to 60 and 90.

Factors at play include but not limited to home air sealing and insulation, wind, floor plan, ceiling height, heat distribution, load size, wood species, moisture content, quality of the burn, and fan status.

Reactions: blacktail
Someone said try some construction scraps, 2x4 2x6 ect. Of course no untreated or plywood. My question is can I burn this regularly as I am a carpenter with access to it.

Someone said try some construction scraps, 2x4 2x6 ect. Of course no untreated or plywood. My question is can I burn this regularly as I am a carpenter with access to it.
Yes just becareful because it is really dry with allot of surface area it can lead to overfiring.

Reactions: ShawnLiNY
Ok maybe mix in a couple here and there, a long with the ash and oak
Yes. You find the right mixture that works with your current firewood. Like Holler said be, keep an eye on it and no treated lumber or plywood

It was standing dead ash trees. Approximately cut them down 2 years ago. Cut to 16inch pieces and then stacked. Uncovered. Didnt split till early this fall
I had no dry wood, years ago, and found a down White Ash which I cut up, split small, and stacked in the house with a fan on it. The humidity in the room rose, according to my cheap plastic weather station. After two weeks it went from 25% to 20. If you can't stack a half-cord in the house like I did, at least bring some in and stack near the stove (not too close) for a week.
If you can find some small <8" dead standing with all the bark fallen off, it should be pretty dry.
Ok maybe mix in a couple here and there, a long with the ash and oak
Yeah, if you load up with a bunch of dry Pine and Spruce scraps, she'll take off like a rocket. :eek:

Many times those bundles are wet as hell. They are only run through a kiln long enough to kill and bugs not long enough to dry it.
Exactly. I split some last year to test and they were upper 20s%.

Mooch, I have no idea if you have any Tractor Supply Stores near you but look for some compressed sawdust log products to mix in or if you have the money, to burn exclusively.Do this until you get a good wood supply.Don't waste your time buying kiln dried wood.