1. SCOTT S.

SCOTT S.
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Mar 22, 2014
    Loc:
    Waupaca WI
    E94A68BA-B929-4E5A-BE93-D9B456BBB69F.jpeg

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    AmbDrvr253 and skibadybop like this.
  2. bholler

bholler
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    It has been posted a few times before here. Not my taste but very cool regardless

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SCOTT S.

SCOTT S.
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Mar 22, 2014
    Loc:
    Waupaca WI
    Sorry for the repost I have never seen it. My wife said it’s not my taste either.

Ashful likes this.
  4. bholler

bholler
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    No reason to apologize

5. Prof

Prof
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Oct 18, 2011
    Loc:
    Western PA
    A little over-kill for ember protection!

6. Simonkenton

Simonkenton
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 27, 2014
    Loc:
    Marshall NC
    Yes it is deja vu, I have seen it before.
    But glad you posted it, I love it! Looks like something I would do if the fiancee was out of town for a week or two.
    Now that is some fire proof hearth protection.

Very imaginative. I don't know the weight of that shovel but I think I would have to reinforce the floor. Under my hearth I now have yellow pine 2x10s, 16 inch on center, and doubled, three of them beneath the hearth are doubled. I think I would have to triple or quadruple them. Not too hard to do that.

Plus, talk about a heat bank. That hunk of steel is what, 4,000 pounds? Get that up to about 140 degrees and it will put out heat for 48 hours or more!

7. fbelec

fbelec
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 23, 2005
    Loc:
    Massachusetts
    i just want to know how he insulated the chimney pipe

8. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I’m not so sure, there. Most of these 2 meter excavator buckets are more like 2000 - 2500 lb. That pales in comparison to a masonry fireplace. Rough number, mine weigh 25,000 lb. per floor, times four floors. Conductivity of the material (granite and field stone) is much lower, so storage is limited by that factor, but it swamps the weight of that bucket by so much it’s not even a fair comparison.

The one difference is that I’ll never get that mass of masonry up to 140F. But then again, I doubt anyone is getting that bucket quite that warm, either.

9. Simonkenton

Simonkenton
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 27, 2014
    Loc:
    Marshall NC
    Aw, you're no fun. I too have a masonry fireplace that weighs in at 18 tons.
    Even still I bet that 2.5 tons of warm steel would put off heat for a long time.

Ashful likes this.