Not so western wood species to ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the Forestry Service silvics manuals. They give propagation information. Except for that Bay. The West Indies Bay. Via Oregon Myrtle...California Bay Laurel. No propagation info there.

USDA recommends propagation of bay trees by seeds. They take a long time to germinate though, and the seeds should be 'nicked' before they are planted. I generally dug them up out in the wild and potted them up. At the nursery I worked at they planted heeled bay tree cuttings cut from branches, leaving a few leaves at the end, and potting them up and placing them in hot houses. A lot of them failed. They need warmth to root from cuttings, so a hot house or nursery heating mats are best. Also use Rootone for its anti-fungal stuff and root hormones.

http://plants.usda.gov/plantguide/pdf/cs_umca.pdf

Zone 7 is tropical to me. I would think the Cascade area to be in zone 3-4. According to that very interesting read, Holly is easily destroyed by controlled fires. I guess the fruiting females are more commercially desireable for the roadside market exploitation. aka farmers markets.
Sadly they are outside my range or I'd say pack em up and ship them here. Since I buy bundles of the cut sprigs at Christmas.

No. The Cascade foothills are pretty warm and do not get that cold and at lower elevations, especially on the west side. The Pacific ocean is pretty close and pushes in a lot of heat and moisture. On the eastern side the temps drop and moisture amounts fall off, but most of eastern Oregon is still in zone 5-7. You have to go to the other side of the Rocky Mountains to get to zone 3-4 in Montana, Wyoming and Colorado, the Dakotas, MN and WI.

Status
Not open for further replies.