not sure what size wood stove to get

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon Schott

Sep 13, 2013
I have a uninsulated garage approx 500 sq feet... I intend on insulating the walls this year and not the roof. Would a wood stove rated for approx 1000 sq feet work, or should I go bigger?

I am not usually a code Nazi, but you are aware that a wood burning appliance in a garage is a no-no? A shop is a different thing.;) Getting the install insured could be tricky. Check on it before you start.

I am not usually a code Nazi, but you are aware that a wood burning appliance in a garage is a no-no? A shop is a different thing.;) Getting the install insured could be tricky. Check on it before you start.
its actually a small building that was built on attached to the garage... I had a certified installer check it out and it was cool. (I live in Toronto, Canada)

Okay - good deal. The stove ratings by sqft is a really squishy number. Too many variables to even accurately claim specifics. Go by fire box size. Also - if you intend to only heat when you are working, you need to keep in mind that bringing up a cold shop (with all the stuff in the shop) to temp takes firepower. Your shop is the equivalent of a 23 X 23 work area. Bringing that from dang cold to shop temp (I call 60F shop temp) is either gonna take time or lots of BTU's. I am currently looking for a NC30 for my 25X 25 shop to give you an idea. (I am using an old home built smoke dragon currently).

I would think any AHJ (insurance co., building inspector) would be more appropriate to ask for install legality.
If not ok'd by insurance co., they could deny any claim arising from a stove which caused the structure to burn down.
Perhaps that doesn't apply where you are, but ins. co's. can be real sticklers when it comes time to pay a claim.
Just my .02.

thanks , i have talked to my insurance company and as long as I have it instaleld by a WETT certified installer and provide them with the WETT certificate I am ok

Reactions: PapaDave
A stove rated at 1000 sq ft may work if the place is not heavily insulated and you burn smaller fires. If the goal is not to have a 24/7 heat in that space there are a number of small stoves that would work. The Englander 17VL offers a high value, easy to install option. A basic box stove like the Jotul 602 or Morso 2B would also work fine.

Until it gets really cold you may find that starting a smaller fire and letting it go out is sufficient. The stoves I mentioned are good for about 4 hr burns with a full load of wood and should do fine for the cold months.

Ya might want add a small ceiling fan to push the heat down from above and get things mixed up air wise.
I have 1800 sq ft shop with 24 ft peak 14ft side walls awful lot of heat floating up above my head, mean cold flow on my ankles If I do not use a ceiling fan to push heat down

Went through this crap last year with the insurance company Brandon and for some reason the stove 'cannot' be installed ground level 'Fumes'? ;) Check it out just in case eh..

loon

Can you insulate the roof and not the walls?

In all seriousness, I would go the biggest steel stove you can find. You're going to need to get that puppy real hot, real fast or else you're going to be done working before you want to even be in there. Really, you can't oversize in this situation since you'll likely never be in there long enough for the space to get overheated.

Status
Not open for further replies.