Not the cap I ordered...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunadan

Hearth Supporter
Oct 3, 2006
Holland Patent, NY
So I ordered this chimney cap in 6" round - Chim Cap Forever Round and they sent me one that I don't even see on their website, or anywhere else. What they sent is a cross between this Chimney Cap and the one above. Basically it looked like what I ordered, with a lower screen height, larger round top (that overhangs the insert portion of cap, and lip around center hole to prevent water from dripping down liner.

The one they sent obviously will provide better weather protection, but the original one I ordered had an 8" screen height as opposed to 5". Would that 3" make that much of a difference in draft? I know it will be better than what I had, as the installer left maybe (if I'm being generous) a whopping 1" between end of liner and my old multi-flu cap.

Personally if the one you got is like the Homesaver you got a superior cap to the one you ordered. I can't imagine putting that first one on my chimney. Too much height. Too much blowing rain and crap getting into it. Five inches of room for the breeze to blow through is plenty to vent the chimney. If I was going to use that first one I would just get a galvanized vent cap at ACE Hardware for nine bucks. No screen but if would keep the straight down rain out.

That being said, they should have sent you what you ordered. Period.

personally i'd rather have the second one in your post , both obviously have a large enough venting area to not cause restriction to draft and the second one looks like a much better product construction and design wise. the first one looks like somthing i would have fabricated in my garage , then tossed.

Thanks for the feedback. I liked the looks of the second type cap, but was just concerned I didn't have enough screen height. I've read that you need 6" between end of liner and cap, and these type only go 5". Only 1" but still a 16% difference.

If nobody thinks 1" will make a difference, I'll keep what I was sent and chalk it up to the big guy upstairs watching over me ;-)

Dunadan said:
Thanks for the feedback. I liked the looks of the second type cap, but was just concerned I didn't have enough screen height. I've read that you need 6" between end of liner and cap, and these type only go 5". Only 1" but still a 16% difference.

If nobody thinks 1" will make a difference, I'll keep what I was sent and chalk it up to the big guy upstairs watching over me ;-)

Well actually I think it was an idiot vendor more than the big buy but I think you got a cap that will do a better job. Chimney cap designs seem to be done by people on crack. No consistency with any of them.

My new Simpson liner cap does not have a screen at all (the stupid design of the top plate is a different story). The way I wanted it. If a squirrel wants to climb thirty feet to meet his maker, so be it. Bird ashes are easy to brush out.

Just an FYI brother bart we get a lot of recomendtions for caps with no grills... We also sell a cap that is similar to the one you are talking about and it sells primarily on the north east market because of the amount of leaves that get caught in the grills of our deluxe cap. Some of our distributors will only buy that cap because they are purposely trying to prevent problems for their homeowners by not giving them the decision because they know that not many people enjoy being on top of their roof especially the normal non diy homeowner...

We just had the FPX-33 Elite installed and the cap doesn't have a grill. The installer said it was better that way because the grill is the first place that creosote sticks. Sounded a little fishy, but the cap seems sturdy enough.

MagnaFlex said:
Just an FYI brother bart we get a lot of recomendtions for caps with no grills... We also sell a cap that is similar to the one you are talking about and it sells primarily on the north east market because of the amount of leaves that get caught in the grills of our deluxe cap. Some of our distributors will only buy that cap because they are purposely trying to prevent problems for their homeowners by not giving them the decision because they know that not many people enjoy being on top of their roof especially the normal non diy homeowner...

I understand. But if a person purchases a specific item as represented by a picture and description they should receive exactly what they ordered and paid for is what I am saying. Possibly I put a sharp edge on it because an on-line chimney parts vendor did exactly the same thing to me last month. Even after I called in the order and talked to the guy rather than depending on the picture and description. We talked about what I was doing and what was needed. When it arrived it was what he decided I needed after we hung up rather than what I ordered and what he agreed to send when we were on the phone. It cost me forty bucks but thankfully I waited to see what they sent instead of ordering the other six hundred dollars worth of parts at the same time. I didn't send it back because I believe it to be partly my fault. I had a feeling he didn't know a chimney from a door knob while we were on the phone, yet I couldn't imagine he would substitute a part. Had I been an installer that would have cost me major revenue generation time. As it was it just cost me time and a trip to the sheet metal shop and twice what the part cost to get it made to work.

The vendor I ended up getting the large order from listened, offered suggestions that were very helpful and then sent exactly what I ordered. Big difference. And if anybody is wondering, it was Hart's Hearth that got everything right. I highly recommend them. I won't name the one that blew it because they seem to do alright with people here on the forum that order their complete liner packages.

Should I have gotten the part from my local hearth shop? They are always where I go first but I needed stuff from a distributor/manufacturer where they don't have an account.

Status
Not open for further replies.