Not your suggested use of a chainsaw...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
i'd say that gent and his family are pretty lucky. Mountain lion, pound for pound is the top predator in the world. What other animal stalks, kills, and drags up a tree, animals that outwheigh themselves by 6-7 times? Its a very freaky thing to see a deer carcass wedged into the nook of a tree branch 20 feet up in the air.

this is also why you should never smear bacon fat onto your neck when playing in the woods.

from this we can also address the farse that burning pine makes creosote. truth be told, its the burning of mountain lions that produces creosote.

This also presents a tact to use during chainsaw purchasing discussions with your wife:

<wife>: Tell me again why you need a new saw with a 24" bar?
<husband>: That squirrel in the backyard has a mean look about him. I need it to protect you and the young'uns.

I can see the arguments starting. Which is the best saw for mountain lions, Stihl or Husky? How many cc's per pound? What bar length is adequate?

Delta-T said:
i'd say that gent and his family are pretty lucky. Mountain lion, pound for pound is the top predator in the world. What other animal stalks, kills, and drags up a tree, animals that outwheigh themselves by 6-7 times? Its a very freaky thing to see a deer carcass wedged into the nook of a tree branch 20 feet up in the air.

this is also why you should never smear bacon fat onto your neck when playing in the woods.

Leopards do that.

I'd group leopard, mountain lion, "cougar", and puma together. all very similar animal. Bobcat may also fit this profile, its just smaller than these other guys.

madrone said:
I'm gonna start bringing my saw along for hikes.

you mean you dont :shrug: :)

I think the drone of the saw actually may attract some animals. Kind of like distressed calls.

Delta-T said:
I'd group leopard, mountain lion, "cougar", and puma together. all very similar animal. Bobcat may also fit this profile, its just smaller than these other guys.

You forgot Jaguar. all five animals are not just similar, they are the same. Bobcats, however, are not. Not that I would mess with a bobcat, but you might have a chance as oposed to a mountain lion-leopard-cougar-puma-jaguar

Dunebilly said:
Delta-T said:

You forgot Jaguar. all five animals are not just similar, they are the same. Bobcats, however, are not. Not that I would mess with a bobcat, but you might have a chance as oposed to a mountain lion-leopard-cougar-puma-jaguar

we left out panther! god help the poor fool who runs into a pissed off mountain lion-leopard-cougar-puma-jaguar-panther!

My woodpile "panther". When we walk in the woods in the evening she is constantly stalking and killing imaginary Zebras and Wildebeests.

Attachments

• woodpile panther.jpg
    woodpile panther.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 339
BrotherBart said:
My woodpile "panther". When we walk in the woods in the evening she is constantly stalking and killing imaginary Zebras and Wildebeests.

A vicious beast if I ever saw one. Be aware, National Geographic says that these guys like to rub up against your leg just before they go for the throat! I recommend playing dead...if that doesn't work, fill dish with kitty food and run for the hills.

I wonder if Stihl would warranty my MS310 if it failed whilst "trimming" a mountain lion....

And for the sake of us all being great I wonder if we should suggest a type of chain for personal protection. Surely full chisel would be the preferred armament for the back woods cutter. Skip tooth, like full metal jacket, could easily have cut through the mountain lion and potentially injured a neighbor inadvertently.

Next up - should trigger locks be required to be included with all new chain saw purchases? Background checks? Safety inspection?

heppm01 said:
The guy was probably cutting pine.

WARNING: BURNING PINE CAN CAUSE MOUNTAIN LIONS TO ATTACK YOU.

LMAO! Excellent post!

Status
Not open for further replies.