Noth American Wood pellets and your inputs in general

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cschmitty

Jan 8, 2012
Cleveland ,NY
I realize these are curran's blend. I burned a few bags curran soft not too impressed found out the NAWP were the curran blend after purchase but they kicked butt,I did a direct comparison some one please sell me on softwood maybe have not bured the right ones. I found little to no diff in ash bag for bag and draft adjustmet had no heat effect for soft but very tuneable for the blend decent heat with blend. Nothing note worthy about the soft other than flame looked proper but without btu results. Digital meat thermo(calibrated through awesome prime rib results) 3rd tube left and right. Set on 3 (first yellow) fresh clean for each, including shop vac "trick" exhaust (4'horizontal only straight out if you want to comment on that) 255f softwood 265f harwood. Addicted to CUBEX best hands dow for our area price $242 ton P/U Meniely who is awesome. He is burning EDEN softwood but not enough on hand for me to sample. Recently tried greene supreme as well ......= junk....oct or april pellet at best . 2500sqft ballon construction built 18?? was flat roof was raised to pichted roof house not really insulated at all but we run 66-68 stove room upstairs 68 pretty steady, side but adjoining rooms large opening from stove room with ceiling fan 62-64f. please comment on all except points about insulation. moving after next winter not investing much further. already have burned ZERO oil in furnace(forced air sys) have burned 10g in TOYO DC-100 saving 70% over last year (however much colder 10/11 vs 11/12) but still killin it! Pellet style! Have had whitfield in previous home this lopi leyden would have bured that place up. Happy with the lopi big time!!!

$4.87 Noth American Wood Pellets H/S blend Lowes Cicero, NY
$6.00 Curran Soft West Monroe, NY (*****) Fire Side Chats aka North Shore Oil....
$3.94 Greene Supreme Home Depot Cicero, NY
$4.80 CUBEX Menielys, NY!!!!!!!!!!!! Best pellet ever burned aside from HAMERS have'nt burned them sinces moving upstate in 06'

Meniely Wood Products RULES!!! hope I don't blow up my spot!!!!!lol Thanks Harry!!

Search the forum, you will find mix reviews. I bought a ton of these a few weeks ago from lowes and I like them as far as the heat output. I will actually compare these to barefoots that I was burning as far as heat goes. However, these are more ashy than what I am used to. They leave a sticky residue on my glass that I can't wipe off with out cleaner. So you should try a few bags and see. Each stove is different.

I bought some and liked them, will definitely buy more. They left less crust on the bottom of my burnpot that needed to be scraped out.

j-takeman said:
You can get Cubex for less than the North Americans? Wow, No brainer there!

Yeah no kidding, I'm new to the product available in the area. should have mentioned that as well. should have said "wow how can crap be priceyer than quality" which by the way is why I come here to share the info (wealth) to help produce a kowledgable customer base for pellet manufactuers. make good for said price or "we will call ya out". thanks for your input. We're on the same team right? piggy....

I started this season w/4 tons of Currans & have been burning these for years - hardwoods, hard/soft mix, softwoods as well as the re bagged label 'North Americans from the big box stores. The hard/soft mix as well as the NA burn very well in my stove and throw good heat, no clinkers and maybe a bit on the ashy side. I also burn green supremes, but like you mentioned just in the shoulder seasons because I can get them for cheap and they have adequate heat.

Swapped a bag with a buddy for a bag of Somerset's..........bad idea....first off they STINK, my house as i type stinks of glue like smell...thanks!

Pellet-King said:
Swapped a bag with a buddy for a bag of Somerset's..........bad idea....first off they STINK, my house as i type stinks of glue like smell...thanks!

Were these the actual Currans or the rebagged North Americans which stink?

I find this very interesting, since this used to be a big criticism of Currans - a type of 'crayola' odor for some when burning them, I haven't seen a post about this in a long time and just thought it was some particular batch run one year or something? I've been burning these things for years and honestly never noticed any strange smell?

My wife gets a laugh everytime she comes along pellet hunting! I smell every brand lol! Gotta say Somersets and Greene Team are best smelling imo!

VTrider said:
Pellet-King said:

Were these the actual Currans or the rebagged North Americans which stink?

I find this very interesting, since this used to be a big criticism of Currans - a type of 'crayola' odor for some when burning them, I haven't seen a post about this in a long time and just thought it was some particular batch run one year or something? I've been burning these things for years and honestly never noticed any strange smell?

The garage smelled so good with Somersets, and spruce point until I added the North Americans to the stash. :cheese:
The new combo smell... :long:
I haven't noticed a smell while burning these though, so am I wrong?

FWIW, my wife doesn't like the smell of Green Supreme burning, but I haven't noticed a smell at all.

1D

Status
Not open for further replies.