'Nother stove & placement thread, sorry :P

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Do you have a fan on the ceiling in the "hub" area or just the newly installed "gather" area? Wondering if the air movement created from the "hub" area would be more effective.

Not yet. We had one we brought from our old house so it's the one that went up. It's on the to do list to get another at some point and that's where it'll go.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

Hmmm, I was thinking the fan photo post was going to be an update about a thermostat install !

Lol not quite yet. Tho it's s lot more shoulder weather than constant burn right now. I read that post and sounds like it shouldn't be too awful complicated, might be a next season thing. But I said the same thing about the stove too...

So this morning, 20* outside, 77 inside. Run almost always on H1. Def agree that H1 isn't the cleanest setting, but it's doing good for us so rolling with it. Ceiling fan makes a diff in stove room, not sure about the rest of the big area. But nothing is really chilly. Overall super happy with it :)

Reactions: alternativeheat
So this morning, 20* outside, 77 inside. Run almost always on H1. Def agree that H1 isn't the cleanest setting, but it's doing good for us so rolling with it. Ceiling fan makes a diff in stove room, not sure about the rest of the big area. But nothing is really chilly. Overall super happy with it :)

Glad you're happy with it !

Speaking of "cleanest", you're gonna come up on a deeper cleaning than vacuuming out the firebox soon. Has your ash vac come in and maybe a brush kit for your vent ?

Ash vac arrived a day or 2 ago. Got the vent brush rods & brush when I got the stove. So yep :) Supposed to be warm this weekend, might be a good time for it.

Reactions: alternativeheat
So vacuumed everything I could get to. Took the little plates off on either side of burn pot, vacuumed. Cleaned glass. Cleaned the little "shelf" up by heat exchanger. Took cap off the tee and termination. Ran a brush through the horizontal section. For the fly ash out, not crazy amounts at least :) Couldn't get it to make the turn down the 90. Not sure on that one. Vacuumed out the termination cap and tee caps while I had them off anyhoo. Lot of firsts this late in the season lol

Sounds like you did good !

Reactions: R9R
Cat appeoved!

bf5de13517c2499d0b548c45c3b9e013.jpg

For the sake of record keeping and if anyone's still looking here...update after burning this season so far in Eastern OH:

I can burn on HR1/DF2 as long as temps stay double digits or higher and keep stove room in the 70's. If they're 30's or higher can usually leave the stove off for a bit during the day. HR1 burns dirty, glass gets black ash all over it except where air wash comes through, but wipes right off. If I run it solid I'll burn ~1 bag/day.

If temps drop to single digits or below, burn on HR2/DF3 to keep stove room in 70's. We've had to do this a lot lately with the single digit & negative lows (and highs !!! ). FWIW - we've had lows down to -15 or -20::F and HR2 does it just fine. Burns cleaner, glass gets light coating of tan ash that's kinda harder to wipe off, but it does. If I burn solid on HR2 I'll burn ~2 bags/day.

I've also invested in a small fan (desk/table top size) for the master BR (farthest away from stove), it's sitting on the floor blowing toward the stove. I absolutely notice a difference in the master when it's on or not. One of the best $15 I've spent :p

So overall still super happy with the stove. Especially when temps drop negative and I laugh because I'm not going to have a $4-500 electric bill to pay >> Thanks again to all Forum compadres for the wealth of knowledge y'all provide! I'll (hopefully) add a good how-to with pictures for the spring cleaning, as is true with most USSC products there's not much out there (manual or 'net) that I can find at least.

Cat appeoved!

bf5de13517c2499d0b548c45c3b9e013.jpg

The difference between your picture of the cat/stove from mine if I took one is different stove but still black and mine would have two cats and a third one near by ! Pretty common scene around living room stoves it seems, I've seen photos of shrouded stoves and even some cast iron stoves with a cat on top of it.