Novel approach to air conditioning developed in Singapore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
The system is water based and uses no chlorofluorocarbon refrigerant. Instead it uses water, but not like a swamp cooler. Their claim is a 40% energy savings. If they can make this into a consumer sized package it could be interesting.
https://news.nus.edu.sg/press-releases/water-based-air-con

Reactions: brenndatomu
Interesting, its a swamp cooler (evaporative cooler) with a novel way of dehumidifying the air up front.

I have run into liquid desiccant systems in industrial systems where ultra low humidity is required. They are used to directly pull the moisture out of the air without having to deal with wet cooling coils which are potentially a great spot for biological contamination. The spent desiccant liquid it sent to a separate regeneration tank that can be regenerated with waste heat. Kind of a neat system in that the desiccant can be regenerated and stored in tank to decouple some of the load from the cooling demand. I have been curious if its a viable way of cooling in certain applications.

Yes, I meant that according to the article this method doesn't have the drawbacks of a swamp cooler, like poor performance in humid environments and excessively humidifying the air.