Now I've seen it all...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's like a giant Pez dispenser!!! That's unbelievable. Put on in Times Square and it would make a mint. Buck a log.

No one there would know how much a split is worth.

In another 10 years, that thing will be a must have for suburban homeowners that heat with wood.

I like the pez anology.

Notice how they spelled "Steel"? "STEAL", which is what you would be doing to people who bought wood from that thing.lol

That thing would make a mint around my area. We have like 4 diffrent campgrounds within a 20 mile radius. The grocery stores are selling a little shrink-wrapped bundle of 4-5 splits for $5. Highway robbery I tell ya.

Wow. It took me awhile to figure out what that thing was. First, I'm thinking it's an outdoor furnace. Then I thought maybe a firewood dry kiln. Then--bingo--a firewood vending machine. Brilliant!

I don't know what else to say.

djamwolfe said:
That thing would make a mint around my area. We have like 4 diffrent campgrounds within a 20 mile radius. The grocery stores are selling a little shrink-wrapped bundle of 4-5 splits for $5. Highway robbery I tell ya.

Saw some of those just the other day, too. The store had one "brand" that was about 16" long x 10-12" diameter for $4.99, then another "brand" that was about 12" long x 14" diameter for $5.99. Outrageous in either case! That is the way to sell firewood, though! Didn't even look to be seasoned.

Corey

It will be a boon for campgrounds
People have campfires all Summer long so it will be getting the most use from May-October
They can have it by the front entrance of the campground and people that live around the area can buy wood for their ambiance fires from October-March

There are people selling campfire wood on all the roads that lead to campgrounds around here and there is always a car stopped picking up wood during the camping season

It is a no brainer if you own a campground

They START at $20,000 it says on the website. You would have to move alot of wood through that thing to turn a profit.

Dylan said:
babalu87 said:
It will be a boon for campgrounds
People have campfires all Summer long so it will be getting the most use from May-October
They can have it by the front entrance of the campground and people that live around the area can buy wood for their ambiance fires from October-March

There are people selling campfire wood on all the roads that lead to campgrounds around here and there is always a car stopped picking up wood during the camping season

It is a no brainer if you own a campground

You miss the point....they'll cost $2000-$3000 a piece....sure cuts into profits.

What powers the delivery mechanisms in them?? Spring loaded?? Solar powerd?? Hard-wired?? How far to the power source?? Permit and inspection for the electrical work...Elk?? And, oh yeah....while we're at it, what a great way to regulate those scofflaws who have been avoiding taking out business licenses and paying sales taxes selling firewood near vacation areas. I'd make sure my tax assessor was aware of 'em. Let's get a counting mechanism on 'em so our town shares in those wood profits. As I drive through some of those 'recreation' areas I get the impression that the guy selling wood at the end of his driveway is waiting for the next welfare check to fill the unregistered rusty truck with gas....think he's gonna follow the rules??

For you to say "it's a no-brainer..." tells me that YOU don't use your brain.

It states on their website that they are SOLAR POWERED

How many bundles can you get out of a cord of wood?
Around 50 by my math
Cord is:
3 bundles deep (16" logs)
3 bundles high (16" bundles)
5.3 bundles wide (18" bundles)
Thats about 50 bundles per cord of wood

$5.00 a bundle = $250.00 out of a cord of wood

Now we all know roughly, what HARDWOOD costs per cord
Factor in lots that are cleared for buildings, homes etc
Now how much would a cord of that type wood cost you, call it $150 and I bet its less

Thats $100.00 income for each cord put into the machine
They dont pay the high school kids squat that work at campgrounds so call it $10.00 for the hour it would take to fill the machine

$90.00 every time a cord is dispensed from the machine, probably more

Move 200 cord through that machine and it is paid for
Maybe two seasons at a busy campground and it would be paid for

Who is using their brain now?

In my experience, people who see opportunities where the rest of us don't, usually wind up making lots of money. $20,000 is not a big business investment anymore and I'm sure that in the right location, these things will make some people some money.

Proof:
Cumberland Farms sells wood in bundles that size for that price and the size of the pile is always changing
Evidence enough for me that it would work

Voodoo math?
Calculator and the dimensions of a cord of wood is the only voodoo I used with my feeble brain

Fine Dylan, you "win"

Well, babs, looks like the jig is up. We're not going to sucker Dylan into investing in one of these things. I guess he's smarter than we figured.

I had to do a double-take on their picture, because their
housing like very similar to the Generator housings that my
place of employment make - same geometry & identical color.
Scarry.......

Rob

De nada, D. I've found that if you're trying to insult someone, the subtle approach is more effective.

Rob, that does look like a generator--and a pretty big one at that.

Dylan said:
Eric Johnson said:
De nada, D. I've found that if you're trying to insult someone, the subtle approach is more effective.

AND, I know you know that I know that you know that I'm NOT insulting anyone....I'm intellectually challenging them. Whether you feel as do I, that the human psyche benefits from such intellectual challenge, well, that's up for debate.

Cue the Guinness guys:

Really?
I pretty much spell out for you how one could have a successful operation with one of those machines based on the total size of a cord of wood broken down into an approximate number of bundles and you call it voodoo math

If thats intellectual challenge its a wonder that sliced bread was invented

Dylan said:
babalu87 said:
Dylan said:
Eric Johnson said:

AND, I know you know that I know that you know that I'm NOT insulting anyone....I'm intellectually challenging them. Whether you feel as do I, that the human psyche benefits from such intellectual challenge, well, that's up for debate.

Cue the Guinness guys:

Really?
I pretty much spell out for you how one could have a successful operation with one of those machines based on the total size of a cord of wood broken down into an approximate number of bundles and you call it voodoo math

Babs,

How much is the profit (You stressed "successful operation") enhanced ABOVE selling bundles of wood in the conventional manner?? Again, do you plan to invest??

And my brother-in-law's $20,000 investment (back in the 80's) in a wood processor was paid for (according to my father-in-law) after his first 2000 cords of wood that sold for $100 per cord.

Dylan, your a prick. Do you ever get laid?

Dylan said:
Sandor said:
Dylan said:
babalu87 said:
Dylan said:
Eric Johnson" date="1140125015 said:

Cue the Guinness guys:

Really?

Babs,

How much is the profit (You stressed "successful operation") enhanced ABOVE selling bundles of wood in the conventional manner?? Again, do you plan to invest??

And my brother-in-law's $20,000 investment (back in the 80's) in a wood processor was paid for (according to my father-in-law) after his first 200 cords of wood that sold for $100 per cord.

Hey Junior,

YOU'RE just about the classiest person who has ever graced this forum.....dimes to dollars, your post gets removed, and that should tell YOU something about yourself.

Do you normally take that anger out on your wife or on your dog???? Oh that's right: marraige failed and you lost the house, right?? Hmmmmm.

Hey Boy,

Babs made a point, and backed it up with math. It made sense and your intelligent response was to insinuate that he did not use his brain.

Thats an insult, like a good majority of your posts.

Your angry, I'm not. Just calling a spade a spade.

Dylan said:
Sandor said:
Dylan said:
Sandor said:
Dylan said:
babalu87" date="1140129745 said:
Dylan" date="1140126921 said:
Eric Johnson" date="1140125015 said:

Cue the Guinness guys:

Really?

Babs,

And my brother-in-law's $20,000 investment (back in the 80's) in a wood processor was paid for (according to my father-in-law) after his first 200 cords of wood that sold for $100 per cord.

Hey Junior,

YOU'RE just about the classiest person who has ever graced this forum.....dimes to dollars, your post gets removed, and that should tell YOU something about yourself.

Do you normally take that anger out on your wife or on your dog???? Oh that's right: marraige failed and you lost the house, right?? Hmmmmm.

Hey Boy,

Babs made a point, and backed it up with math. It made sense and your intelligent response was to insinuate that he did not use his brain.

Thats an insult, like a good majority of your posts.

Your angry, I'm not. Just calling a spade a spade.

I found the relevance of his math to be of little importance, and said so. Further, I think I developed my point better than did he....apparently you didn't bother to read what I had to say.

I'm still interested in taking bets.

Thats the point Dylan, you THINK you developed your point better.

Do you get your point across by telling someone they don't have a brain?

Do you keep score by seeing if someone has their post redacted?

Your a smart guy, and should be able to get your point across without insults.

Dylan said:
My point was that if you're making bidness (or gambling) decisions, you BETTER use your brain. In grade school, teachers would say, "Put on your thinking caps." Is that how I should've worded it?? I don't see why....afterall, we're all strong personalities, here.

Yes, and Touche'

Lets see .......how was that put ? O'yeah ............YAWN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya, I'd rather be the guy selling the units than the guy trying to sell wood out of the units.

How the heck you managed to dig up a 3 year old thread that turned into an OT pissing contest is beyond me, but I think I'm going to shut it down before it reignites. :lol: Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.