now this is a score...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

par0thead151

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jul 26, 2009
south eastern wisconsin
all in all, 4 truckloads in my 2500HD GMC sierra, and at least 2 more left to pick up...
this is going to take me forever to split by hand! i think its time to invest in a hydraulic splitter.
this pile is about 5' high and 20' wide
is this locust in the below photo?
wood1.jpg

wood2.jpg

Don't look like locust to me. Looks like some very nice oak. Hey, I bet it was heavy stuff too. Congratulations.

EDIT: If you do get a splitter, you'll wonder how you got along without one!

Yah, the bark furrows do not look like locust. Black locust furrows are deeper, even on smaller limbs. I would say some type of species in the red oak family. Shave some of the wood with a knife and smell it. Red oak smells pretty strong of oak.

Great score though. That would last me all next year for heating my place.

It looks like Honey Locust (thornless variety) to me.

Reactions: ScotO
Nice pile of fire wood,
The sooner it's split & stacked, the sooner it's dry enough to burn.

" this is going to take me forever to split by hand! i think its time to invest in a hydraulic splitter." +1 ;ex

I enjoyed splitting by hand for many years, (except the gnarly ones that never split).
Got a hydraulic splitter, now I have fun splitting anything.
Now I wonder "Why I waited so long ?"

Some of the pieces in the pile are gonna fight being split by hand ;)
But splitting vertical with hydraulics, looks like fun :)

I don't see any locust there in what I can see. I'd lean toward Sav's bet and say oak. Top one on the left almost looks like cherry. Yes hydraulic is the only way just so much more enjoyable. I waited until my back gave me problems and I didn"t have a choice.

I'm with Wood Duck.....That first picture is definately honey locust. The bark, sapwood, and heartwood are all spot on. Get some of it split and post pics, that will verify it.

Nice haul, parothead. Were some of the bigger chunks noodled to get 'em on the truck? The bark in the top photo looks like the honey locusts we have growing here. Haven't seen what the insides of them look like, they're 15 years old.

After a search on the net it's possible it could be some type of honey locust but I'm on the fence still. Only thing I can say is if Scotty thinks locust.......WELL.......UMMM......could be. I never knew anyone that loved locust as much as me then Scotty popped on my radar._g

i got the rounds on the truck with a friend helping lift them. and yes they are as heavy as they look.
the wood splits easy enough if it is a friendly piece, otherwise the twisty ones require a wedge and a chainsaw to start the split line.
i am scouting around on craigslist for a used splitter. or i may just build my own as i have a spare lawn mower engine handy. just need the shaft and pump for the hydraulics, which i may have some of at work as we just tore apart a few hydraulic bagging machines.

Bark looks like Honey Locust to me too. Good score regardless.

I'm willing to bet my maple and oak that your first picture is honey locust. That said, I'll be out to do the trade as soon as you find out I am right! ;)

Reactions: Locust Post
how does honey locust rank in terms of BTU's?
and if i get it split soon i assume it may be ready this season, but better the following.

That is honey locust. It is very good stuff. About the same heat output as oak without the 3 year wait.

In everyone else's defense, honey locust and oak are very similar looking.

I'll agree that the first picture is Honey Locust.

how does honey locust rank in terms of BTU's?
and if i get it split soon i assume it may be ready this season, but better the following.
Honey Locust is awesome wood, very high in the BTU's ratings, and it seasons in one year if you get it split and stacked in a windy location. That said, get all of it you can!

Honey Locust is awesome wood, very high in the BTU's ratings, and it seasons in one year if you get it split and stacked in a windy location. That said, get all of it you can!
An awesome load of wood for sure ,but I don't see honey locust from the picture I'm seeing maybe cut a few rounds and show us ,anythings possible.

An awesome load of wood for sure ,but I don't see honey locust from the picture I'm seeing maybe cut a few rounds and show us ,anythings possible.
you're probably confusing honey locust with black locust. That first pic is most definately honey locust, it has a salmon colored hearwood, white sapwood, and the bark is scaly with red inner tissue. Without a doubt, I have around 9 cord in my stack that is the exact same stuff, with around 4 more monsters to cut and split this summer. That and black locust are my favorites! (ask around, I'm sure many will tell you so!):p

Reactions: blujacket
Status
Not open for further replies.