OAK adapter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

phile

Aug 11, 2018
northwest ohio
does anybody have a good way to go from a 2" OAK to 3" on the back of my stove? I checked wood stove pro where I bought the thimble and they don't have one. He told me to try something automotive, such as exhaust, not sure about that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

The automotive adapters seems like a bit of overkill but some people are meticulous about their installation.
I did mine a little primitive.
Make some 6 to 8 cuts on the metallic flexible pipe, then slide a hose clamp on the pipe, slide the OAK on the pipe then place the hose clamp over the cuts, as you tighten the clamp fold over the tabs as you continue to tighten the hose clamp until it is tight. Wrap it with some heat resistant silver HVAC tape to seal any leaks. Better wear gloves cause it is really sharp and may cut Ya.
Works for me.

Last edited:
The automotive adapters seems like a bit of overkill but some people are meticulous about their installation.
I did mine a little primitive.
Make some 6 to 8 cuts on the hose, then slide a hose clamp on the pipe, slide the OAK on the pipe then place the hose clamp over the cuts, as you tighten the clamp fold over the tabs as you continue to tighten the hose clamp until it is tight. Wrap it with some heat resistant silver HVAC tape to seal any leaks. Better wear gloves cause it is really sharp and may cut Ya.
Works for me.

What is "The Hose" that your making cuts in?

What is "The Hose" that your making cuts in?
Sorry about that, poor choice of words.
I'm referring to the flexible pipe or tubing that makes the connection to the stove.

Just go get a 2-3 inch automotive muffler adapter. its at most 4 inches long and less than $10. You could probably get a muffler shop to make you one shorter if needed instead of off the shelf

I have another question. I just heard back from woodstovepro and he thinks I should return this one, which I already installed. I guess they sell one with a 3" OAK. They don't have the best description system for their parts. He seems to think tthat my stove won't work properly without a 3" OAK. Any thoughts. this is my first pellet stove so I don't have a clue, but it sounds feasible. Thanks

Looks like a little communication problem.
Here is a link for the manual https://enviro.com/custom_content/docs/manuals/C-14585 Instruction M55-FS Owners Manual.pdf
The manual is your guide for installation.

From the manual. A Fresh-air intake is strongly recommended for all installations. Failure to install intake air may result in improper combustion as well as the unit smoking during power failures. The inlet to the intake must be below and a minimum of 12” (30cm) away from the unit exhaust outlet. Outside fresh air is mandatory when installing this unit in airtight homes and mobile homes. When connecting to an outside fresh air source, do not use plastic or combustible pipe. A 3” minimum (76 mm) ID (inside diameter) steel, aluminum or copper pipe or ducting should be used. The inlet must have a screen installed. It is recommended, when you are installing a fresh air system, to keep the number of bends in the pipe to a minimum.

You have a 3" air intake and a 4" Exhaust vent.

Lots of info in the manual, take some time to read it thoroughly.
Hope this helps.
Dan

I read the manual thoroughly and thought I got the proper thimble, but when I got it,it was a 2" OAK. So what you are saying is that I return this thimble and get one with a 3" OAK. I was wandering if the 2" inch is sufficient since I already installed it or should I stick to the manual exactly. Thanks Dan

Yes, please return it, 3" OAK is minimum. Always use the Mfg. instruction, never modify anything.
The stove will perform much better with the proper Air.
Part of the problem was that I misunderstood what you were trying to do. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Dan