OAK and chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

d.n.f.

Dec 14, 2007
Nelson BC
This is my first stove without an OAK. I haven't gotten around to installing it and with all the questions about OAK these days blah blah blah.
However, is there any appreciable energy loss with having my T6 knockout punched out and the chimney effect? Am I losing warm air through my stove and up the chimney when I am not running my stove?

Not a big deal once the stove is running all the time but I was just pondering this question in general.

If I understand your question correctly, you are referring to a barometric damper installation. I cover the end of the T with the baro damper in it with a plastic bag when the stove is not in use. If you are married, you will certainly have to buy something much more expensive than a plastic bag for the job. :lol:

d.n.f. said:
This is my first stove without an OAK. I haven't gotten around to installing it and with all the questions about OAK these days blah blah blah.
However, is there any appreciable energy loss with having my T6 knockout punched out and the chimney effect? Am I losing warm air through my stove and up the chimney when I am not running my stove?

Not a big deal once the stove is running all the time but I was just pondering this question in general.

Ya know, I was just wondering that same thing this morning.

Not sure what a barometric damper doodad is?
There is a 4" knockout at the bottom of the stove from where it draws fresh (in my case house) air.
I am going to check out the possible draft with a smoke candle this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.