OAK-before/after

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fisherman85

Oct 11, 2018
Indiana
I apologize because I realize the topic of OAKs has been debated for a long time. I was just curious if anyone has had a unit that they have operated without an OAK that they later converted to an OAK. I am debating on adding one to mine and am curious of the before and after results others have had? Do they make much of a difference in lost heat?

I have done it with the princess I am running and saw no difference. But I have added them to some customers stoves and it made a huge difference.

I ran my King for 1 1/2 seasons without, stove burnt great..
Added the OAK after realizing how many areas I had pulling cold air from outside,,,,, BIG DIFFERENCE... in my situation anyway !!

Unless you are in a manufactured home or super tight new construction, adding an OAK probably wont make a difference in stove function. The benefit will be that far rooms will be less drafty/more comfortable. If it is easy to add one in your setup it's a no brainer.

Reactions: electrathon
I ran my King for 1 1/2 seasons without, stove burnt great..
Added the OAK after realizing how many areas I had pulling cold air from outside,,,,, BIG DIFFERENCE... in my situation anyway !!
Did you have a way to quantify that? I'd think maybe that it would be noticeable if one burns the stove with the air open quite a bit. Maybe you do that. Otherwise, burning on low like I do, I wouldn't think the stove is pulling in much additional air, especially in my leaky house. ;lol
I forget the exact numbers, but I thought I read somewhere that the average house turns the air completely over every few hours.

I installed an outside air kit after burning for a season without one. In my case it substantially reduced the cold air sliding across the floors from the leaky windows toward the stove. It also helped with the overall comfort level of the house by reducing the amount of cold air infiltrating the heated envelope.

As far as stove performance it helped a little by slowing down the burn rate. I have a tall flue above the stove of approximately 28' of insulated stainless steel liner that drafts vigorously.

I installed an outside air kit after burning for a season without one. In my case it substantially reduced the cold air sliding across the floors from the leaky windows toward the stove. It also helped with the overall comfort level of the house by reducing the amount of cold air infiltrating the heated envelope.

As far as stove performance it helped a little by slowing down the burn rate. I have a tall flue above the stove of approximately 28' of insulated stainless steel liner that drafts vigorously.

Same exactly for me. House is an 1886 balloon frame construction. Made a big difference in the draftyness through the house.

Reactions: Das Jugghead
Did you have a way to quantify that? I'd think maybe that it would be noticeable if one burns the stove with the air open quite a bit. Maybe you do that. Otherwise, burning on low like I do, I wouldn't think the stove is pulling in much additional air, especially in my leaky house. ;lol
I forget the exact numbers, but I thought I read somewhere that the average house turns the air completely over every few hours.
I don't recall the air exchange being every few hours, but I think it was 6 or so times a day. With how air tight we are making new houses these days, the air isn't getting exchanged enough and indoor air quality is suffering. I have an old farm house with no issues with exchanging air, and when I install my new stove this spring, I will be adding and oak to it.

A scientific study ? No...
Can I tell my office 10 ft. from the stove is now within a few degrees of the great room, instead of 10-12 deg. cooler ? Yes