Oak borer infestation - safe to burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tsiskwa

Aug 29, 2019
Maryland
Veeeeery slowly managing to split a large oak that fell on our property in November. I’ve found what look like small maggots boring through the wood towards the bottom of the tree, as well as some adult beetles in rotten portions. Is any of the wood from this tree going to be safe to burn? Is there any reason I shouldn’t? Just looking to learn. Thank you.

Oak=long seasoning period before its ready to burn (couple years easy for me here). Get it split and stacked. Bugs will be long gone. My opinion.

Reactions: D8Chumley
They only like the moisture. Once it’s dry, they will move on

They will leave soon after splitting and stacking off the ground. Keep it top covered and sides open to the breeze.