Oak clearance to vent cap?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Moto21

Oct 15, 2019
Pennsylvania
I'm currently install a stove in my basement. Going through poured walls with both vent and oak. The vent cap is a duravent directional horizontal cap that will fall 18-24 inches from the outside wall. The oak will be flush to the wall. My question is does the oak need to be 12 inches below the vent if it is that far from the vent cap or can I put it closer. I'm just trying to keep the intake as high as possible off the ground for snow build up. With the 12 inch clearance it would still give me about 36 inches from ground to intake but I'd like a little more.

Doesnt say anything about the oak just 12 inches above to ventilation air inlets into building. Does the oak fall under that qualification? I know I can get a wall thimble with the oak right in it but I don't need a thimble since I'm going through masonry.

double check your specific install manual but usually you just have to maintain clearance to combustible, if it’s a plastic vent.

Yeah nothing at all about clearances for the oak in the manual. I'm making a one piece stainless tubing s-bend intake with a short piece of flex from the wall to the stove so theres zero combustibles in it. I didn't want 10+ feet of flex hose running up the wall.

I do but I got the stove and all the vent pipe in like new condition from my brother in law for free because he's to lazy to carry the bags of pellets. So I all ready have it.

This is what is in my Enviro Manual
I know that your stove is not an Enviro but
maybe you can use this as a guide
"The inlet to the intake must be below and a minimum of 12” (30cm) away from the unit exhaust outlet".
To me that says that the intake must be lower than the exhaust and the outlet of the exhaust must be 12 inches away
The OAK can be 1 inch below the exhaust as long as the exhaust exits 12 in or more away

Last edited:
My OA is the plate that the exhaust goes thru. The vents are flush against the house and the exhaust is straight out about 10 inches with a jet nozzle pointing down on the end. My draft is about a foot and is inside the house, the install was done by my stove shop and signed off by my building inspector. 3 yrs old now and 0 issues.....

My OAK is just beside my exhaust with the OAK flush to the wall and the vent pipe is 18" straight out. Here is a picture of the thimble I installed for the P43 that has the OAK outlet included, (obviously before I had the piping attached. This is a direct vent setup.

Outside thimble installed.jpg