OAK.....condensation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HEMI

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Aug 17, 2009
connecticut
I noticed tonight that the flex pipe for OAK has alot of condensation on it....is this normal?

sorry if this is a real dumb question

Hemi...I actually laughed out loud when I saw your post. I just filled my stove for the night and leaned over to check my intake damper. I brushed up against my metal OAK pipe and was shocked to feel it wet...and very cold. I think because it's pulling outside air in to a warm room, the pipe is cold and sweats just like a cold beer. Am I right guys?

Chandler

CWR said:
Hemi...I actually laughed out loud when I saw your post. I just filled my stove for the night and leaned over to check my intake damper. I brushed up against my metal OAK pipe and was shocked to feel it wet...and very cold. I think because it's pulling outside air in to a warm room, the pipe is cold and sweats just like a cold beer. Am I right guys?

Chandler
LOL......i'm aware of why it has it just wondering if its to much then maybe inside has it....more then likely i'm reading to much on here and every little thing ya start to over think it

Thats right and it will get worse as it gets colder .

You can wrap it with some fiberglass insulation to help keep it from sweating...

I was thinking the same thing but I am a little concerned if you need a fire rating or just use a roll of pipe insulation that you use to cover heat tape with out using the plastic wrapping.

There are high heat insulations out there. Fire rated. But pricey. I was thinking the white boiler wrap. and some aluminum tape.

Mines in the basement so no biggy for me. But yes mine "sweats" too!

jay

krooser said:
You can wrap it with some fiberglass insulation to help keep it from sweating...

Yes and you should be able to get some thing with a foil back so you won't have to worry about fire .Not that these things get hot but it is close to the exhaust
outlet .I think I saw some thing like that at Home depot .

Status
Not open for further replies.