OAK drama...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having a little trouble understanding the shape of the part you need.If you could somehow send me an isometric drawing with some measurements I would imagine I could fabricate a part for you .I am a sheet metal fabricator and have been for 30 + years.Its the least I can do for a fellow surface dweller!Let me know if I can help.:)

I am having a little trouble understanding the shape of the part you need.If you could somehow send me an isometric drawing with some measurements I would imagine I could fabricate a part for you .I am a sheet metal fabricator and have been for 30 + years.Its the least I can do for a fellow surface dweller!Let me know if I can help.:)

I`m a tinknocker myself 25+ yrs and just found this post and read through it. I`m having a hard time trying to picture what needs to be made myself. Like others have said it shouldnt be too hard to fab something up. I`m not familiar with this stove and the pictures are a little confusing, at least to me. If I were closer to the poster I would offer to take a look.

basically, i need an 'intake manifold' that goes from the 2" (i think) round inlet:

20121111_124038-jpg.80838

forward, then to the right (follow the yellow wire) under the ignitor (top right of image), and into the rectangular bank to the right of the ignitor (identical to the one on the left of the ignigtor that you can see in this pic, except it's 'punched' open as the intake). This shroud or intake manifold would then all a true outside pipe to be connected to the stove and get up and out air from the chimney.

Finally spoke with Scott and it looks like he has a plan. He is going to get me some more info in a few days.
looks like we're going to raise the cap a bit to raise it over the intake, put in a shroud to get air from the top of the chimney.
adjust the damper blocker to have an oak inlet, and thus use the chimney as the rest of its chamber up to the outlet up top.
from the damper to the stove, run a regular pipe.
and from the pipe connector to the ignitor.... on the drawing board to see what he comes up with.

progress :)

Reactions: DexterDay
At the end of the day, I have a happy burning stove. But it's a bit drafty in the living space some times, so i think i want to try the OAK. But only if it's a closed system.
I had the same setup on my Whitfield. Sorta works, when stove isn't running cold air comes into the room from the OAK.:p

Dam bri, I decided I was going to not big you about this anymore.. Good to see you will Gitterdun , and I appreciate your burden an photos...

I suspected this OAK was why you said screw it "ill sell the house & moving to NH."

I had the same setup on my Whitfield. Sorta works, when stove isn't running cold air comes into the room from the OAK.:p
Yup, Scott actually said this was like a Whitfiled.

I don't care about the stove not running, because the stove is ALWAYS RUNNING when its cold out :) in the summer, i'll just throw a piece of insulation in the hole or something if all my a/c ends up going up the chimney.

I still want to move, but it's feasibly a few years off at the very least I think. And it's not over this stove drama. it's over Dan Malloy and the other liberal-controlled politics (please don't move this thread to the ash can... this is fact, not opinion). I ran a successful home business for a lot of years on the side... 30-40k a year worth in my spare time. Then gov. Malloy decided he wanted internet sales tax. And companies I did business with didn't like it, so they dropped everyone in the state from working for them in Connecticut to 'punish the state' and a few other states did it as well (google the 'amazon nexus tax'). So, I basically lost my side income stream because of where I live and the politics of greed.
I tried to work around it by looking into getting a po box in a REAL state, but my accountant suggested that this was fraud and a potential federal offence.... so I decided against it.

The only real solution is to pick up and move out, and seek freedom.
In doing so, I restore 30k + a year in revenue, continue my main job revenue within 10% (I've researched a few companies in the area, and salary is on par to what i make now 45 min away from where i'm looking for houses (Hillsborough/New Boston area) in Manchester/hookset/concord, which is what I drive now for work anyway)and for the same mortgage get 40x the plot of land, 2x the house and pay less total taxes in the end, have better scenery, less crime, closer to skiing, better roads, maple syrup, snow instead of the mix crap we get a lot of the times ( I love snow).... I could go on for hours.

Why is ANYONE here (CT)?

Probably because they were born here and don't know how much better it is elsewhere much like I was.... and not until a few years ago realized how much it sucks in this state.

I've heard it all before about how high taxes are in nh. and I laugh.

I have a 1400 sq ft house on .3 acres.
my prop tax is $5600 a year. It is going up this year by about 3 mills. So probably 5750 by 2014.
the city also charges prop tax for cars/trailers/etc annually. that's another $500 for my car and $200 for my truck. 800 by 2014.
that's on top of the 6.5% sales tax on everything I buy including some groceries.... probably 2-3k most years. a big purchase year its probably closer to 5k.
that's on top of the state income tax that I lose about $6000 too a year

15 grand + easy.

I WELCOME the 7500 prop tax on my NH property with open arms and a 50% discount when there's no sales tax, no state income tax.... etc..... . :)

And that's on TOP of the politics that I don't agree with because it punishes success and rewards failure, which I won't get into to keep this out of the ash can.
and of course I still pay federal too.

Companies are doing it too. They are leaving left and right. Commercial real estate is ruined here. EVERY building has for lease signs in the plazas... some entire malls are abandoned. more companies like colt and other gun mfg'ers are leaving the state due to the coming gun regulations and rising corporate taxes.
CT will be Detroit in 10 years time.
I refuse to be the last one here.
I want to get out while I still can.

and from the pipe connector to the ignitor.... on the drawing board to see what he comes up with.
progress :)

Has Scott spoken with Lennox about the missing section? They should step up to the plate for that portion of the fix...

I think the lennox guy I spoke with didn't have a clue what he was talking about. The guy who has the shroud in this thread must have a specially made item that no one else has ever seem before.

No problem folks. The part that the OP is looking for can be made kinda easy with some sheet metal and bending tools plus a little silicone and a couple screws. Just need some daytime to make a few calls...Brian, I'll get back to you the first of next week.

no rush... i'd like to get it in some time this summer before burning season, but it doesn't have to be soon :)

Today is the day al of this is left behind!
Scott is coming out this afternoon to OAKify me !!!!!

Reactions: smoke show
It will be hot, but bearable I think. it's on the north side and there is some shade from the pitch and the woods. Plenty of cold water and a/c inside to cool off as needed.

I have Oustide air :)

scott on the roof getting it done with his custom topper piece for air and exhaust on the 2nd story :) cool piece that you have to see.
998050_10151711358205606_1522090984_n.jpg

The old junk :p

557599_10151711358285606_888708925_n.jpg

The oem exhaust was such a POS. Scott patched it up with a better coupler and some tape.
553383_10151711358360606_370075382_n.jpg

and the new intake pipe of course :)

998410_10151711358005606_709068203_n.jpg

the 'manifold' he custom fabbed up installed:

969933_10151711358065606_1690935968_n.jpg

Test fired, ran, looks like its getting enough air.

We'll see in a few months how this baby really works now.

Thanks again, for coming out all this way, Scott.

11:16pm Just got in. Think I lost a weight on a tire in this heat....what a racket all the way back. If I drove over 60mph the van just reverberated ba ba ba ba bab a baba ba bab abba bab babababab ba ba ba bab. You're welcome Justin and Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.