OAK drama...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
steve's picture is the ps40. i have the pi40. they are basically the same stove save for insert model vs free standing model. the manual is one in the same, with a few variances for the sides/etc that are different. the 'guts' are all the same though.
the pic looks right. I have that same red vac line and the rest looks the same to me too.

i was just gonna say that the motors are reversed on the FS and the insert, so the picture really doesn't help a lot in terms of what should be on your unit.

My coloring skills stink, But this is all you need to complete the connection. oak connection.jpg

...looks like French's Mustard, lol. I do not recommend mustard for OAK. If you take a look in the manual for stuff relating to OAK you'll notice that there is no reduction in clearances to windows and doors when the oak is used. this "usually" means that the unit can draw air from multiple locations (possibly for the airwash). the old "path of least resistance" set up.

That is only 1 bank. There is a 2nd bank to the right of the ignitor as well. there's 2 rectangles. it would need to have some Y in it.

Its possible the volume needed could be draw thru 1 bank and the other could be blocked off? You would need to measure the openings and see if the one nearest is the same size or more than the tube size on the connector.

Just a guess, But I doubt you'd need both connected as the tube size would be all that could be used to draw in.

I'm wondering if it would burn unevenly though. I already have an ash issue where the exhaust side gets 3/4 of the ash build up and the flame leans that way too. It's always done this and it's not dirty or anything else.... it's just the side the exhaust is on.

IDK, But next time you have it out. See if the two inputs connect to each other(run a wire from one side and see if it can be seen on the other side)? If they do, Then connecting one most likely will work. If they do not connect and each is its own passage, Then you would need to make a Y.

Yeah, sat when i clean it again i'll take a stick in under the burn pot and see if it goes all the way across with the ignigtor there.

I also don't think the second photo posted is the same stove IMHO. Looks totally different. I bet the inset is like the quads where they connect the oak actually isn't a complete connection to the unit.

A simple 3 sided rectangle(with a slight jog) could be fabbed to connect the flange and the opening. But again not totally air tight without some goo or tape!

Hey JT...Need some help!! I am sitting here on autocad trying to draw a three sided rectangle (couldn't do it)...Fired up Revit and tried to draw it in 3D (still failed)...Please Help me visualize this new geometric shape!

Also, I am planning on installing an OAK and may need your input, so don't take this personally;) (LOL)!

Reactions: briansol
Hey JT...Need some help!! I am sitting here on autocad trying to draw a three sided rectangle (couldn't do it)...Fired up Revit and tried to draw it in 3D (still failed)...Please Help me visualize this new geometric shape!

Also, I am planning on installing an OAK and may need your input, so don't take this personally;) (LOL)!

Can't help ya draw it, My job is to build it! :p

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Hey JT...Need some help!! I am sitting here on autocad trying to draw a three sided rectangle (couldn't do it)...Fired up Revit and tried to draw it in 3D (still failed).

..I think Jay ran out of French's mustard.

Once you get all that mustard out of your stove,.. you may try using a piece of down spout (tin) from HD or lowes, I believe they have the smaller size 2"X3".

Is the gutter/tin stuff acceptible to use?

Well, lennox hasn't returned my emails in a week and half now.

great.

I took it apart to clean this weekend and did some more investigating.

There are 2 banks on the bakside, but under the burn pot, only the opposite side of the intake pipe fitting is open. So, to the right of the ignitor is looking at from standing in the chimney (yeah, don't ask... i was basically santa this weeend :D lol) So, fabbing this might be more difficult that i thought after all, due to the bends, but may be easier due to it only being 1 bank.

More progress on this finally. Lennox says this part should have been welded on from the factory. They don't know how it ever left the factory like this, let alone got installed this way. The mfg'er said the stove shouldn't even burn like this. This questions my safety.... I don't think it's a big deal as its in my fireplace. But its still scary when a mfg'er says it's shouldn't even work this way. WTF.

The dealer is involved now and they are probably going to come out and take pics, etc that Lennox wants to see from them (not form me)... Lennox said they don't know if it can be retro-fit as it is a welded-on part, and that's if they can even get the part as the stove is discontinued, and there was never a part number for this piece as it is not a replacable part.

It's a bit early to say this, but I might be getting a new stove.... on them. And since the model I have, is no longer being made..... who knows what may come. So, things are about to get interesting with this, that's for sure.

All i wanted was some dang outside air......

I bought my glo-king from them....they are about the sale and that's it. I 'm not surprised to hear things haven't changed. I dealt with Dean himself and was no better. I even got his delivery truck lettered for cheap...didnt matter! The glass cracked on the front of my stove..defect. They were calling about it for weeks..no luck "but we are working on it". I looked up the manufactuers info myself. I found out it was a "steel manufacturing company" that made my stove. They had stopped making them for awhile! I thought I was screwed!!!!
I called the company and was told they didn't make/support them anymore but I could leave a message. Before the end of the day the former manager of that division called me. He asked about the stove and said he would see what he could do. The next day he shipped me a piece of glass (I think they were in Oregon).

I was pissed.:mad: I was a consumer and I didn't have contacts yet I resolved the problem in a couple of days! They had been "working on it" for over a month! Yeah right!!
I would try to call Lennox yourself and explain the situation. Write down your contacts with the dealer and how they handled things.Ask Lennox or dealer if they have a tracking number for your problem/claim. Let lennox know that you like the product but the dealer experience is subpar.

I would also call Palace in Torrington (not sure how they are) and say you made a mistake going to current dealer. Ask if they can help you out or even put you in contact with regional rep or something.

That Torrington place did mine install. Stove balanced on a couple bricks in hearth, didn't want to block off or oak for etc.. I wish I weren't so green when I hired.

The stove shouldn't burn? Its an intake? Its missing a cover? Why would it not burn. If anything, it should breathe better

Here is to hoping they are gonna give you a new unit anyways. Good luck :)

yeah, i don't know. i feel like i'm talking with no one who knows anything most the time.

story of my life i guess. lol

I'm tired of the run around from all this. I sent an email to scott to see if he wants the job and can pull it off. hoping he can save the day. But, understand if he's not for the task.

hopefully I can have him out this summer and can set me up with a liner that doesn't suck and an outside air intake and shroud too.

i can't wait to move.

Status
Not open for further replies.