Enplater Posted By Enplater, Apr 3, 2019 at 10:14 PM

1. Enplater

Enplater
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 6, 2017
    Loc:
    NH
    What are the chances oak will dry from 30-35% mc to 20-25% by this winter. I’ll be stacking in the next few days, it’ll have good wind and sun and will be tarped. It’s definitely red oak and I think white oak. I’m in southern New Hampshire

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Soundchasm likes this.
  2. Mike13

Mike13
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 15, 2015
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    If you have any other wood available to burn for this coming year I’d let the oak sit covered until the following year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PA. Woodsman likes this.
  3. redyute

redyute
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 4, 2015
    Loc:
    southern maryland
    Agreed this red oak is terrible for seasoning.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 26, 2007
    Loc:
    Emmaus, Pennsylvania
    It's risky as it takes quite awhile to dry Oak as was discussed here in the "Do rounds season" thread. You MIGHT get lucky with it but I wouldn't chance it if I were you, get some other wood ready as was mentioned and check the Oak in October just to see where you are at.

5. spudman99

spudman99
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 26, 2018
    Loc:
    Yardley, PA
    If you are dead set on trying to season it, then search this forum for solar kilns. It may be possible but will take time, materials and effort to construct something to accelerate the water evaporation process. I would personally keep checking craigslist for free wood, or call a local tree company to see if they have an ash or maple trees they are removing and will let you take the trunks.

6. Medic21

Medic21
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 26, 2017
    Loc:
    Northern Indiana
    I usually leave stacked and covered outside for three years. In a leantoo loosely stacked it can be 2 years.

The best is two years outside then one summer inside.

CentralVAWoodHeat likes this.
  7. kvesi122

kvesi122
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 20, 2018
    Loc:
    Worcester County Mass
    I had roughly the same timeline last year with red oak. Didn't get much heat out of the pieces I was burning and they usually hissed a good bit once you threw them in.

Split them small and let them sit for 2 years. I had a good amount of creosote buildup from this burn season. Try to get some ash or beech to get you through next year.

I'm not too far away from you so we'd have a similar climate. Last summer was brutal with rain though.

8. Enplater

Enplater
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 6, 2017
    Loc:
    NH
    Thanks for the replies, I have plenty of other wood that should be ready. I have a moisture meter so I’ll be able to tell come fall.

EPS likes this.
  9. weatherguy

weatherguy
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 20, 2009
    Loc:
    Central Mass
    It will probably be mid 20s next winter, at least that's been my experience, then usually 18-20 the following year.

Eureka likes this.
  10. TreePointer

TreePointer
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 22, 2010
    Loc:
    PA
    Around here, oak takes 2-3 years to season. Cut/Split/Stacked (c/s/s) off the ground.

Are there exceptions? Sure. Some of the smaller diameter limbs and especially those on dead-standing trees can start to season before you cut them.

11. EPS

EPS
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Jun 5, 2015
    Loc:
    NH
    I live in NH as well (east/central ish) and have found that there are very few people who give away wood any time of the year because so many of us heat with it six months out of the year.

12. johneh

johneh
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2009
    Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    Oak will take as long as it takes for the conditions it is in
    I cut Oak in January , Buck and split it in May. It goes into
    a tent like a T pea were on a good hot dry summer it will dry to
    18% buy the end of September . But the tent with 7 cord in it
    gets to 150::F to 160::F in July and August with full sun it is
    also vented at the bottom to let air in and vented at the top
    with a rain shield to let the hot moist air out .
    My type of solar kiln

13. Akon

Akon
    Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 1, 2016
    Loc:
    Maine
    I dropped, bucked, and split 3 cords of red oak the last few days. It's located near where I store wood in the winter. I stacked it a sunny windy spot. I'll top cover it until May or June then solar kilnify it for a month or two. I have other wood ready, but want to burn this next year so I don't have to move it twice.

14. weatherguy

weatherguy
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 20, 2009
    Loc:
    Central Mass
    I think I'm going to try that this year with 4 cords of oak. You have a pic of your setup? Sounds easier than poindexters rigs.

15. Enplater

Enplater
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 6, 2017
    Loc:
    NH
    Right! If you can find it for free it’s usually soft maple, white birch or worse,

Dug8498 likes this.
  16. Soundchasm

Soundchasm
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 27, 2011
    Loc:
    Dayton, OH
    Boy, for live cut, that's cutting it close. If I read correctly, you're talking about a complete summer. The other thing is whether you're splitting limb wood or stump wood. Limb wood has a good chance. Stump wood, probably not.

Standing dead limb wood, chances are great. Anything else, try to get that second year in.

I only say that because I was in the same boat a few years back. I split comically small. As I tried to empty out my storage system to revamp it this summer, I ran across some of those splits. Essentially, I was splitting kindling! Not anything that was going to last several hours.

17. woodhounder

woodhounder
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 27, 2019
    Loc:
    SW Michigan
    Oak split small and stacked loosely, in the hot summer sun, will dry it out, especially with some wind.

Snotrocket likes this.
  18. hickoryhoarder

hickoryhoarder
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Apr 5, 2013
    Loc:
    Indiana
    I wouldn't count on that timeline. In a sunny, breezy driveway, I've never seen a piece of oak ready in less than 18 months.

19. Eureka

Eureka
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 4, 2018
    Loc:
    NW Wisconsin
    I still get some sizzlers after 2 years

Dug8498 likes this.
  20. Enplater

Enplater
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 6, 2017
    Loc:
    NH
    I bought the rounds from some guy saying they were seasoned. Most of the bark falls off but it’s still 30+% mc. I’ll try to remember to post what it is by the end of fall.