OAK filter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernest Smith

May 9, 2012
South of Boston, MA
Scott installed my Accentra last year and it's running great. He hooked up the OAK including a rain shield over the hole on the outside of the house. I bought a filter element for a lawn mower at HD and sliced it in half to make it thinner and then cut it to the diameter of the rain shield. I was able to sandwich the filter material between the wall and the rain shield so it's held in place by friction. You would be surprised how much stuff is caught by the filter. This got me thinking about those of us that don't use OAK. What if you take a short piece of pipe, attach it to the stove as you normally would if you were using the OAK and attach a small air filter on the other end of the pipe. You could use a motorcycle filter or something similar and set it up so it's only sticks out a short distance behind the stove. I think this should provide clean air for the stove and help eliminate some of the dog/cat hair tails (yes, this is a pun) I read about when the writer encounters a very dirty stove. This would mean an additional item to clean but I think it would be beneficial to the stove. Am I full of hot air?

Seems like a good idea, but what about restriction to airflow, and another item to maintain with little benefit.

Another issue is flammability in case of power loss or backdraft.

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Id be very worried about air flow restriction. Also filters are not meant to get wet, I suspect under the right conditions you will find it soaked.

My manual specifically states not to use anything smaller than 1/4" mesh on the OAK, I'm using 1/2" 'cuz it's what I had on hand. Just keepin' the critters out, I WILL close it off completely when I shut down for the season to keep bees,etc. out ........

The filter is not needed. Any dust that gets sucked into it just goes right through the burn pot and out. All you're doing is restricting the air flow. I'd remove it.

The filter is not needed. Any dust that gets sucked into it just goes right through the burn pot and out. All you're doing is restricting the air flow. I'd remove it.

I agree. Filtering combustion air is not needed.

Filtering the convection air, would be worth while, if you had a means to do so. Some stoves do. Some don't.

Wrong air path for the dog / cat / dust ball issue, that is the convection air path and in particular that which winds up on the convection blowers squirrel cage or in the blower motor. I've been thinking about fabing up something to insert a standard furnace filter into. Several small pellet furnaces have such a setup. You just have to allow enough surface area so you don't restrict the airflow when the filter is dirty.

I agree, the convection blower is the thing to filter. i imagine whatever enters the combustion system (dog/cat hair) is burnt up.

every month on the other hand i take my convection blower outside and blast out the dog hair at 150 psi. btw if you have computers and pets you should do the same for them too. I repair tons of them clogged with animal hair. causes some pretty nasty damage.

Snow blowers don't use air filters for two reasons, no dust or dirt flying in the winter and the filter would plug up with snow. ;)

i take my convection blower outside and blast out the dog hair at 150 psi. btw if you have computers and pets you should do the same for them too.

I don't think my pets would like being blasted with 150 psi air. !!!
It would get the loose hair off of them though.;lol

Dave

I don't think my pets would like being blasted with 150 psi air. !!!
It would get the loose hair off of them though.;lol

Dave

Depends on where you put the air…...

Status
Not open for further replies.