OAK for Ideal Steel?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

graycatman

Hearth Supporter
Mar 7, 2010
Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
I am building a new house (floor plan attached) and will install an IS on a raised hearth outside the 2nd bedroom. I would appreciate your thoughts about using an OAK. The house will have a full 9' walkout basement, spray foam insulation (r. 30 fiberglass between basement and 1st floor), and Marvin Integrity windows. Competitors for air: the bath exhausts will be on an HRV system, and the 2nd bath will rarely be used, the kitchen may have outside venting, but it will rarely be used, the electric dryer will be used once a week, and the high efficiency propane boiler in the basement will have intake and vent pipes that terminate outside the house. Although I would rather not use an OAK, I certainly want the stove to operate properly.

1. Use an OAK--necessary/advisable/optional?

2. If OAK, can I draw combustion air from the basement, or does that present problems, negative pressure or otherwise?

3. If I terminate the OAK outside the house, would it be better to go down to the basement, and then straight out the east wall (under the 2nd bedroom) (long horizontal run, but only 1 90 degree bend), or down to the basement east a few feet, then south and out somewhere under the front porch (shorter horizontal run, but 2 90 degree bends.)

Many thanks.

Attachments

• Floor Plan 04-06-15.pdf
    28.8 KB · Views: 121
Sounds like this will be a tight, well-insulated space. If so, an OAK is advisable. Although the day to day negative pressure may be handled by the HRV you need to be prepared for times like holidays where there is a guest, someone taking a shower with the bath fan on, while Christmas dinner is cooking and the exhaust fan is on, and the dryer is going too. I'd probably run it east under BR2.

I built an Energy Star certified timberframe home then moved to an air leaky mid 1800's non insulated home. I installed Soapstones in both. I was actually more comfortable in the old leaky house. That was an eye opener for me. Last year I did a job for Ibacos in Saudi Arabia relating to insulation and spent time with an engineer discussing this observation. He agreed with me and mentioned that within their circles, there is much discussion about what "comfortable" is. Having a well insulated air tight home with even "heat", in my opinion is not necessarily good nor comfortable. I always put an OAK on my stoves as it seems to work better. + 1 for OAK

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.